Stray chicken in CT needs home***PIC added*** Dominique?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Henrietta23, May 7, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I'm afraid I don't have much info yet. The social worker at school just approached me saying a stray chicken has been hanging out in his yard for a couple of weeks. He knows nothing about chickens and has no idea where this one came from. He heard that I have chickens so he came to me asking if I wanted it. He says it's dark and very tame. It's been eating spilled bird seed under a feeder and it's very tame. I'd be happy to take it from him but with our new coop unfinished and all my dog crates in use for my several batches of new chicks I don't really have anyway to isolate it for a while to make sure it's healthy. About the only thing I could do would be to keep it in my garden shed and that's not ideal for me or the chicken.
    We (me, the social worked and the chicken) are all in eastern Ct. Anyone out there want more info and to help? I'll post more when I get the info from him. Thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Henrietta! Bring HER to me! Ill take it if it is a hen. I dont really have space for another roo, but even if it is a roo, he can stay here if you help me find a home for it.

Oh, and my brother is in Colchester, they are looking for more chickens too!

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Ok, I'll talk to my co-worker about how we might get it here. I'll pm you with where the chicken is and we can take it from there. Colchester is not far.
    Thanks!!!

4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Okay, Tiffany, here's what I know. It's dark and makes sounds like a hen if this guy is doing a decent imitation! LOL, not a chicken person. He's got a few people asking around to see if anyone will take it. He's going to let me know if it's still available tomorrow and I'll probably follow him home and get it if it's a hen. If it's not he'll have to figure something else out because I've already got three young roos and I'll have to rehome two of them soon (thinking Chickenstock CT). Anyway, I can keep her in my garden shed for a few days and nights till we can get her to you. I hate to not be able to let her out in the yard but I don't want her mixing with my chickens. I'm assuming she's healthy since she's been in this guy's yard for 2.5 weeks but not taking chances! I'll keep you posted.

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Okay, I'm going to the SW's house after school to get the chicken. I'll bring it to my house and take pictures. I'm not thrilled that she'll have to live in my garden shed but she'll be safer there than loose in his yard. [​IMG]

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Here she is. She's in my garden shed in a dog pen. She is a sweetheart! Seems clean and healthy. Has a rose comb as you can see. Does that mean she may be a dominique rather than a barred rock? DH is quite smitten but she will still go to you Tiffany if you want her. If not she is welcome to join our flock at the Pentacoop. [​IMG]

7. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Yes looks like a dominique to me.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

wow that chicken has been takeing good care of itself.

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:She's been living in this guy's yard for three weeks and seems to have been spending the nights in the hedge next to his driveway. We passed an "Eggs for Sale" sign at a house just down the road from him but he says he walked down there and asked if they were missing a chicken and they said no.

10. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Put her in a box and ship her to me [​IMG] ! Too bad you are all the way in CT! i am in georgia [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by