1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stray dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kcjones, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    pack of stray dogs showed up this evening while chickens were free ranging, one looked like a dog/coyote mix. thankfully we got all the chickens put up right away after they showed up [​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad to read there was no loss.Are you planning to kill them or catch and send to the poun?Poor dogs, I feel for them but they are a risk to many. I have snet a few to the pound since my dh has no interest in taking them in.

3. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    am hoping they move along, am considering getting a gun , starting to seem like im gonna need one sooner or later

4. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    If you get a gun get something bigger than a 22 even if it is a 22magnum it will be better for everything that you might have to deal with, or if you aren't that good a shot get a shotgun. If you get the gun and the dogs come back just shoot one of them and then the dogs probably wont come back if they know that you mean buisness.

5. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    Quote:Thanks i was thinking of getting a regular 22 guess i'll plan on a 4/10 or something like that

6. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Get a 17HMR. A lot more effective than a 22.

7. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Yes a 17HMR is more efective than a 22 but a 410 or other shotgun is just as good at close range, especially if you arent a good shot. And if you have to worry about other peoples property the 17HMR will go much farther than a shotgun or 22magnum will. Therefore it is more dangerous to other people who might live in the general vacinity, unless you choose your shots carefully.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Never saw Dog that could live with a .177 pellet or .22 CB cap through the lungs.It ain,t the caliber that kill its where ya hit them...cva34 He may run 200 y or so but when he's out of Air (its over)

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm with wvfoxhunter. WAY to much range and penetration for the intended purpose and hard to hit anything on the run. I vote for the .410 for nuisance animals also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by