Stray Guinea Wandered into Yard, Need Advice

chickieduck

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
Hey everyone. A few hours ago, I noticed a guinea fowl out by my chicken pen. There's only one. We tried to catch it but it's too scared. It's clearly lost, and we're not sure what to do. We looked around our neighborhood and did not see anyone who owned guinea fowl. I know they are not meant to be kept alone, and even if they were we are in no position to add another bird to our flock. Does anyone know what we should do? Will she just leave on her own? Any advice will help, thanks.

Hey everyone. A few hours ago, I noticed a guinea fowl out by my chicken pen. There's only one. We tried to catch it but it's too scared. It's clearly lost, and we're not sure what to do. We looked around our neighborhood and did not see anyone who owned guinea fowl. I know they are not meant to be kept alone, and even if they were we are in no position to add another bird to our flock. Does anyone know what we should do? Will she just leave on her own? Any advice will help, thanks.
If you can herd it into your coop, you can then use a net to catch it. Once caught post a found ad on your local craigslist and Facebook. Many places also have a lost and found announcements on a local radio station. Try to rehome it to someone with a flock of guineas if the owners do not show up.

Here, found poultry have been turned in to Metro. Metro is our local "dog pound".

Last edited:
Where are you located?
I’m the worst “bird mom” ever: I waited too long on Saturday to put my Guinea hens to bed in Colorado, and an hour before sundown a red fox (!!) chased one poor hen too aggressively for me to intervene. I scoured the area for the next 2 days when I wasn’t at work, and all I found were 3 or 4 piles of feathers. ☹️ Blood was only found in small traces on one feather, and I never heard additional stray Guinea calls. I should probably give up hopes of finding her, but it was such a quick/complete disappearance.

We have a stray guinea fowl that showed up almost a week ago. It goes back and forth between my neighbor up the road during the day and then comes to our house to hang out outside of our chicken run in the evening. I noticed that it has an injured toe (it looks like a cut) and possibly a sore wing. It still flys into the trees at night. I don't know what we should do for it if anything. I haven't seen any Lost postings anywhere. I can't tell if it's male or female since I haven't heard much calling from the poor thing. Any advice would be great.

We have a stray guinea fowl that showed up almost a week ago. It goes back and forth between my neighbor up the road during the day and then comes to our house to hang out outside of our chicken run in the evening. I noticed that it has an injured toe (it looks like a cut) and possibly a sore wing. It still flys into the trees at night. I don't know what we should do for it if anything. I haven't seen any Lost postings anywhere. I can't tell if it's male or female since I haven't heard much calling from the poor thing. Any advice would be great.
Can you catch it then advertise free to good home? It needs a flock of guineas to join.

I could probably lure it into the chicken run, but of course I worry about Avian Influenza since there have been some cases in NC. Even if I could catch it with a net (which I don't have), what would I do with it? I've thought about locating a wildlife rehabilitator if there is one nearby to see if they can rescue it.

I could probably lure it into the chicken run, but of course I worry about Avian Influenza since there have been some cases in NC. Even if I could catch it with a net (which I don't have), what would I do with it? I've thought about locating a wildlife rehabilitator if there is one nearby to see if they can rescue it.
Maybe a rehabber or place a free to good home ad on Craigslist and local poultry facebook groups.

Back
Top Bottom