1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stray peacock in michigan

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by michpeacock, Apr 3, 2016.

1. michpeacock

michpeacock New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    I have had a peacock coming to my bird feeders thru the winter.live in well populated area but have thick woods that back upto my property. Have lived in same house decades, no idea where it came from or where it goes. Comes pretty much daily to feed .threw out some straw it beds down from time to tine . Was surprised it survived thru the bitter cold.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Likely the peacock escaped from a neighbor's flock?

You may be interested in the Peafowl forum for advice - on the care of the bird.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I too think it may have escaped. Many years ago at the farm where I keep the horse Trevor the peacock kept wandering off into the village and eventually made a new home at another farm. Please do pop by pea section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/51/peafowl

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

They can go feral easily, but they also have a habit of wandering, if someone is letting it free range it's not unheard of for them to map out and travel miles each day when they find someone handing out desirable treats...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. michpeacock

michpeacock New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Thanks for the help all.very cool having it hang around, heck of a conversation starter at my local watering holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by