stray rabbits

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Last summer DH was mowing an abandoned property a few doors down and swore he saw a large breed rabbit, easily over 15lbs he said. I brushed it off thinking he was mistaken. Few months ago a rabbit was under our shed, I caught him and rehomed him, but he had already done the rabbit tango with my mini lop. Today I go out to see my chickens and there are at least five large 10lb+ rabbits in my back yard. I quickly hid my mini lop and tried to shoo them out of my yard. I captured one and hope to get the others. I'm going to put up signs before trying to rehome them.

*Good news, as of 8pm Nov 4th I've caught four of them. Bad news turns out there were six not five and I still have 2 more to go.

Last edited:
They were living in and under the abandoned house, I watched them scatter after a stranger was rummaging. So far though I've caught 2 of them. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the others tomorrow.

Pics? Colors? Not many breeds are over 10 lbs like that. More than likely a bunch of flemish giants that someone dumped.
somad.gif
FG's are VERY friendly.

Check to see if there is a house rabbit society in your area. They can help.

There are several "feral" house rabbit colonies in the Seattle area. They catch, rehome or catch, neuter, release abandonned rabbits.

Imp- That's great that your are helping them.

Thanks I'll check around, heck if they'd fix them I'd be willing to keep a few in my coop. Fixing is expensive in my area
sad.png

Well they do breed like rabbits...
big_smile.png

I'd catch as many as possible and rehome or turn them in to animal control. They can be destructive to gardens and property. They aren't really able to live healthily in Florida on their own. I once caught one who's ears were packed with mites and dander. She also had fleas because she was so sick, they were able to live on her when normally their body temperature is too high.

They could have all escaped from someone, made a hop for it and just skidaddled.
lol.png

Yes they do, I caught one a few months back looked just like these guys. I rehomed him but not before he managed to breed through our rabbit run. Since these guys are out in full force I'm keeping my mini lop locked up tight.

I have knocked on all the neighbors doors and asked, none of them say they are missing a rabbit or six. I'm thinking they were probably an Easter gift dump job
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom