Stray Rooster and the Urban Homestead.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/stray-rooster-arrives-just-wandered-into-the-yard.1334408/
This is a continuation from a different section because the story goes on but does not apply to the old section anymore.

As far as his name... Not sure if I am allowed to type it in here P_ _ K_R H_ _D. We shall call him Peck for short. Pecking seems to be his favorite form of aggression.
IMG_3120.JPG

A Stray Black Copper Maran ended up on my property. I think he was dropped off because of my location. Not a lot of Roosters would stroll into this neighborhood. He seemed neglected, his feet worn down, full of Mites or Lice and he smelled awful. When I first saw him I thought one of my roosters must have escaped a breeding pen because I do not have adult males running loose here. Then I noticed he was a Black Copper Maran. I though for a moment that a Black Copper Maran I had given away found his way back to my house (through 2 counties) but he is that one. This one has Feathered legs and my old one did not. I picked him as soon as I could and put him in this cage for Quarantine. He has spent 3 days in this cage where he can't stand up fully, but he spends his nights in a coop a built for him in just a few hours. I already had a roof and frame ready to go but wasn't in a hurry to finish that coop because I wasn't taking on new roosters.
I inspected his poop and it was mostly plant materials, nothing solid. I got him some game bird feed. Its something I mix in with other feeds to increase Protein but never gave to a chicken straight until this guy came in, I figured he needed protein after look at his Doo-Doo. He was very aggressive towards me on the first day, pecking and drawing blood multiple times. the 2nd day he only pecked once and no blood drawn. Today he has yet to peck me but I only handled once so far. The Pen to his coop will be mostly finished today, finished enough to hold him. Unless he gets flighty he will be out of the cage for good. Eventually the pen will be fully covered with netting. I happen to have 2 French Black Copper Marans in my brooder so by the time he is all cleaned up they might be ready to join him.
I haven't tended to his feet yet they look as if the improved, I am guessing the Protein in his diet is helping with that a many other issues. His first day he buried his face in the feeder like Cornish Cross. He sure seemed hungry.

Poor guy. And how nice of you to take him in. Would an epsom salt soak help those feet a little? Why do you think he smells? Have you treated him for mites? Does he have any injuries?
He was treated for mites/lice and was covered in one or the other. I will need to treat him again a few times as eggs hatch. I am trying to figure out how to soak his feet. he doesn't seem to want to cooperate with much, I am going to cover his legs in Vaseline mixed with livestock dust to kill scaleymites, Not sure if he has them but his legs look like it wouldn't hurt. If he does have that its not real bad yet. I had one rooster with that once. Vaseline does the trick but it takes a long time to heal from it. I just moved him into his new pen. When I enter the pen he does his best to stay away from me. He has spent 2 nights in the coop that is in the pen so he knows where home is. The pen is not finished, but its good enough to contain him. Its another day before the pen is complete because I have to put the netting around the top half and then put in a roof.

He is a few months away from Some hens of his own breed joining him due to the fact they are still in the brooder but I have some F1 Olive Eggers that I was going to give to my Welsummer rooster but I sold him as a pair and now I have the perfect match for an F1 Olive Egger.

Thank you for being so kind and taking care of him. I definitely laughed very hard at the name he was given:gigmaybe he will come around when he realizes that you are helping him. I'm sure some of his aggression comes from the way he was treated at his old home. I can't imagine how bad his life was... Poor thing. Keep us updated on his progress! Maybe find him a few girls to hang out with, I wonder if he even had a flock where he was.

I'm sure that your hens and your roosters are what attracted him to your house. Roosters can hear other rooster crows and hens from quite a distance.

He is pecking less, but he is uneasy when I enter his pen and tries to avoid me. He has yet to do anything aggressive unless I reach for him... then he pecks or winds up like he will peck. I grab him fast so I am not sure if he didn't have time to peck or if he is restraining himself. He doesn't kick or fuss when I grab him which is good because he has the sharpest spurs I have ever had in a chicken. I thought about filing them down but I prefer he stay confident in the ability to defend himself until he is settled.

He doesn't stink as much today as he has in the past couple of days or I am accustomed to his stink.

well between he is getting more comfortable, and getting rid of the nasty bitters, and food and water with ease, I think you will have a great rooster. He sure is a handsome one. and so different when he wandered into your life already.

Makes ya wonder if they weren't meant to be a blessing to you or animals just tend to know when a place is good for them, I had a dog show up at my place someone had starved, beaten and dropped off to die and they almost succeeded. there were lots of houses between location she was dropped off at. My dog alerted us and 3 am I got up to go see what he was so vocal about, just as saw her go down on the road, brought her inside the house and ministered to her until she could go outside on her own, she was in the house for 3 weeks under blankets as she couldn't hold her own body temp and had to syringe feed her, Took me 4 months to get her in the car without having a coronary to get her to the vet, and vet said she was only 8 months old, She's been a loyal friend for going on 13 years and one of the best I have had though she still hates red coats

Back
Top Bottom