Stray Rooster..

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bellapeyton, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bellapeyton

Bellapeyton Just Hatched

Sep 1, 2016
    That's right about a month and a half ago a random rooster just showed up and started hanging around our 3 young American game cockerels. We talked to everyone in the neighborhood and no one seems to know where he came from. I can't let my cockerels free range anymore because this big guy goes after them. Me and couple of other people have tried to catch him but no luck he has huge Spurs and he's not afraid to use them[​IMG]. Guess will have to live with him untill he decides to move on. Here he is I have dubbed him Rocky because he loves to stand on the rocks beside my coop and crow[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    He's very handsome. You said he wants to go after your roosters, but do you know exactly what he is going to do? Roosters have a pecking order just like the hens and sometimes when that is sorted out they will get along.
    Case in point. Over a year ago I had two large fowl and three bantam old English game roosters with no problem Then over a year's period we had a fox problem and I lost my two large roosters.
    We brought in a new young adult rooster and after quarantine introduced him to the hens. The three bantam boys ganged up on him. Finally I locked them up until he was in charge of the hens then I released them. By that time he was ready to defend himself and the hens and things went back to normal.
    I did rehome one bantam to someone who lost her bantam roo, but now I have this year's young cockerels coming along and they're all getting along, although I don't intend to keep all of them.
    Hopefully once they get a pecking order established, they will settle down.

3. Bellapeyton

Bellapeyton Just Hatched

Sep 1, 2016
    I agree he is quite handsome!The other day when I opened the coop one of my cockerels jumped out and I'm not positive what he was trying to do but the rooster chased him and grabbed his tail he let go when I ran over though. He gets along with them fine when they are in the run he will lay on the other side of the fence where they are laying feathers touching and all is good so I'm not sure. There are no hens for them to fight over right now we just got the three chicks this year and they all ended up being male just my luck[​IMG]. I'm sorry about your loss we have that problem to there's so many predators around including stray cats! I only ever let them out when I was outside to watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by