Stray Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mojo12, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Mojo12

Mojo12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi everyone! Thanks for being here! Three days before Christmas a beautiful rooster just showed up out of nowhere in my backyard. He has stuck around so I am trying to make friends with him. From the bit of research I've done I think he might be a Cubalaya. My husbands ChiWeenie chased him over the fence the other day so I'm finding it difficult to get close enough for a good pic.
    Anyway, he's so gorgeous that I've been bitten by the chicken bug! I would like to get a couple hens now. I'm going to need a lot of help because I haven't had chickens since I was about 5-7 years old...get ready for lots of questions!
    Oh...and in case you're wondering, we don't live in a very populated area & nobody near us keeps chickens or knows anyone who is missing one! I guess Santa brought him. :)

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome! Can't wait for your pix.....
    So now the fun begins - chicken coop, chicken run, chicken feed......chickens!! Since 'chicken math' has already got you (1 rooster, needs 2 hens [​IMG]), it will be interesting to see how many chickens you have by the end of the year......... helpful hint - build your coop waaaaay bigger than you need now. Good luck, Sue

3. Mojo12

Mojo12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks. Husband has already begun rolling his eyes when I mention chicken housing... I have basically decided most of the backyard will be involved. :). So far I've only invested in some cracked corn and a heated waterer. My Christmas rooster is curious but keeps his distance. Do I just let him keep roosting in the tree? There's no catching him unless maybe I climb the tree in the middle of the night!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG] .....poor DH! Well - the rooster will decide when it's time for you to get up close and personal. Keep feeding him, try moving the feeder a bit nearer the house every few days. If you have cats/dogs, you could try some dry food mixed with warm water to make a mush - very high in protein! Do you have an enclosure ready for him?? If so, move the food towards the enclosure.
    Good luck with your rooster, keep us posted.....Sue

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

What a lovely christmas present....a Rooster!!! If you need to brush up on your chicken keeping skills, you might want to check out the learning center here on BYC for some tips and pointers...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your Christmas chicken, Santa must like you. Good luck catching the roo.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck with catching that rooster and getting back to keeping chickens.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by