strep throat home remedies please

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by LindsayB, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Does anyone have any good home remedies for strep throat? I have had it now for about 2 days and have been taking tylenol for the pain. Also doing the hot tea and honey, which works wonders!

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    If your are sure it is strep throat it will probally need an antibiotic. It is easily spread to others.

If it is just a sore throat you are doing most of what you can but you may try ibuprofen for swelling. Tylenol doesn't help swelling. Gargling with salt water really does help because it helps reduce swelling and changes the environment for any bacteria trying to set up home in your throat. Hope you feel better.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agree. If it is strep, you absolutely NEED antibiotics. Scarlet Fever is strep with a rash. It can be deadly if untreated. Get to a doctor and have the test.

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:X2. Strep throat is nothing to mess around with. To help with the symptoms, ibuprophen, warm liquids and honey will all help, but if you have strep you NEED antibiotics.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Strep is bacterial-sadly there are no home remedies. [​IMG]
    Go get a culture done and get some antibiotics, please-strep is running rampant a lot of places right now.
    Take care of yourself.

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    And I will reiterate- if you even suspect strep, you need antibiotics, period. There are no home remedies for a bacterial infection. OTOH, if you are already on antibiotics and still hurting, maybe your abx need to be changed to a different one. ETA: I had strep last year and was feeling the difference 24 hours into my antibiotics.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
  8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Once you get back from the doctor and have taken your antibiotics, you can try my famous Turbo Tea (tm).

Turbo Tea
    1/2 cup very hot water
    1 bag any caffeinated tea
    1/2 cup orange juice, preferably with pulp

Mix ingredients
    Don't look at it!
    Drink

Orange juice is crucial. Do not substitute.

I have no clue why this works so well for me, but it has consistently shaved 2 or more days off of my colds and relieved symptoms.​

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Strep can cause other illnesses, so you really need to see a doctor.

For your sore throat I use this tea for colds, sore throught, during the flu, but you don't want to ignore this is it's strep. Please gets some meds.

Cinnamon Tea

3-4 Cinnamin Sicks from the spice section at the grocery
    1 qt of water

Boil and let steep.

Strain and add 1 tbs of Honey for each coffee mug full. Drink as warm as you like it.

This will make you feel so much better, but it's not a cure for strep.

10. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I'm on antibiotics lol. Guess I should of stated that in the first post! I just wanted some advice on dealing with the throat pain. I'm definitely going to try the turbo tea, thanks chicken lytle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by