Stress causing my pullet to stop laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by A-TeamMama, Sep 16, 2015.

1. A-TeamMama

A-TeamMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    I have only one bantam. A cute speckled Sussex. She was raised with 6 standard girls. The all got along fine. Then due to a combination of possibility she stopped laying and left us shortly after. Since then I have worked hard at getting her back with our girls. Now she finally seems happy. She hasn't left our chicken yard and seems to be getting along well for over a week. She stopped laying over a month ago. All of the girls were born this March. I have routinely checked on my girls about three plus times a day. I do this for a safe environment and I love spending time with them.
    My question is this. My bantam was the first to lay. And she did so well. I have searched everywhere for weeks and no tiny eggs. I feel safe to say she stopped due to the stress of being picked in. But If she is feeling safe now. And I believe she is. Because she can easily fly away at anytime, but hasn't for over a week. How long before egg production starts? I miss her little baby eggs. There is always layer feed, oyster grit, egg shells, daily scratch and occasionally leftover treats.

2. A-TeamMama

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    She still isn't laying. I have noticed that my boss chicken sometimes dominates the nesting boxes. Is that normal or am I imagining it?

3. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    many hen's have a favorite nest box and can "hog the box" even if they really don't need to lay an egg. You could try putting a ceramic egg (cheap way hard boil a couple eggs and then mark them) in other boxes and see if you pullet might try one of them instead.

4. A-TeamMama

Apr 5, 2015
    South Dakota
    She was laying. She was an excellent layer. But it's been over a month, almost two since her last egg. And every time I check on my girls, my bantam is with them. But still I check outside the chicken yard. She seems happy, not egg bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by