Stress? In peahen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Nov 13, 2011.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We got a 2 yo IB peahen at the Ohio National yesterday. She was by herself in a small pen.
    She had been losing feathers like mad; they were just showering off of her. The breeder said it
    was due to stress and being in such confined quarters. She travelled with a bunch of other poultry from a neighboring
    state. We brought her home in the evening and put her in a pen by herself. She ate when she got here.
    Other than the feather loss she looks fine; eyes are bright and clear and there's no sign of illness and she looks
    a little bit underweight maybe but not bad. Still very nervous of course. Just wanted to see if they do lose feathers from stress?
    I didn't see her pulling them, though she may have been; they just seemed to be falling off. Haven't noticed the feathers showering off her
    since she'sbeen here. We will keep her quarantined for the next several weeks anyway but just wanted to make
    sure that the feather loss isn't a sign of some other illness in peafowl?. We bought our two peacocks at the Ohio National a few years ago
    and they were not losing feathers like that and they were all in a pen together with another one; so I'm sure they must have been
    stressed too...

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I know little about peafowl, but birds (in general) can lose feathers from stress.

You may want to re-post this in the Peafowl section to get a better answer.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by