Stress Molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancysmith2, Dec 20, 2014.

1. nancysmith2

nancysmith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    7 wks ago we took a vacation. Lost 5 chickens to different predators while someone else was tending to them. I have 5 left. For a week or so none of them laid. Now all but one is back laying. She was not hurt in anyway but her feathers seem to be thinner in front over the last week. She is an easteregger so I know she is not laying. She does not act like she is molting. She hasn't lost a ton of feathers she just looks a little light on breast feathers and maybe just over the last wk to 10 days. Any ideas is it a molt is it from the stress. I thought by now she would lay again. She shows no signs of laying. Comb is pale. Otherwise she is very healthy and eating.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Story as presented indicates your chosen care giver should not be first choice next round. Proper nutrition will restore health and egg production and feathers may come back in a couple of months.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It will take a while for her to start laying again. Give her high protein treats to help her through it. I agree that I would not ask this person to care for your animals again. It sounds like they did not close the coop at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by