Stress or worms?

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
Hey everybody. I have a hen who is 3.5 years old and is just acting less like herself.

So I believe it’s stress but I just wanted to have someone read this and let me know if it sounded like worms??

So we have been building an awesome new coop, and for the past 2 nights we’ve been putting the hens in it and locking them out of there old one to help them transfer. Well, while everyone seems to not love it she especially seems more effected by it. She paces the old one until I come to get her.

So here is what I’ve noticed. A lot of preening maybe a little less sass or dominance and as of today, she liked laying down more. So I’ve checked her crop and it’s good, I’ve checked her poop and looks good, and I felt the outside one her vent it feels good and I she has no lice. That’s why I thinks it’s stress but also some of this lines up with worm symptoms, is there any major differing symptoms I can look for?

Thank you!💜

Preening a lot could be due the start of a molt. Definitely stress due to the move to a new coop, laying down or lethargic sometimes; could possibly be worms. It wouldnt hurt to worm her and the rest of your birds.
I recommend using Valbazen. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Repeat dosing in 10 days.

Preening a lot could be due the start of a molt. Definitely stress due to the move to a new coop, laying down or lethargic sometimes; could possibly be worms. It wouldnt hurt to worm her and the rest of your birds.
I recommend using Valbazen. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
Hey, so little update: she seems like she shakes a little 🤨
and looks a little bit puffed up but not crazy puffed. Would deawormer hurt her or cause any weird side affects?

Is there any natural options? Or what else could this be?

I
Hey, so little update: she seems like she shakes a little 🤨
and looks a little bit puffed up but not crazy puffed. Would deawormer hurt her or cause any weird side affects?

Is there any natural options? Or what else could this be?
Is this any good too?

Attachments

• A06BFB42-35F6-4876-9286-E2F41F27D332.png
    A06BFB42-35F6-4876-9286-E2F41F27D332.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Valbazen and Safeguard are very safe wormers. I've been using both for years as have many other folks in BYC.
If any of your birds are in molt, it would be best to use Valbazen.
Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal period after using either product due to residue in the eggs. Since both wormers are benzimidazoles, they are mostly excreted after dosing and only a small amount is entered into the bloodstream. We eat the eggs after using either product. I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means discard the eggs in the garbage for 14 days after the last dosing.

Valbazen and Safeguard are very safe wormers. I've been using both for years as have many other folks in BYC.
If any of your birds are in molt, it would be best to use Valbazen.
Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal period after using either product due to residue in the eggs. Since both wormers are benzimidazoles, they are mostly excreted after dosing and only a small amount is entered into the bloodstream. We eat the eggs after using either product. I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means discard the eggs in the garbage for 14 days after the last dosing.
Thank you for this very helpful explanation!💜😀

So tomorrow I can go to my local feed store buy this, do you think that I should at least give this a try though and see if it helps her? Also how often do I do this and do I have to do the whole flock? Because she’s the only one acting strange. And lastly, when should I start seeing her get better?

Back
Top Bottom