Stress

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Once upon a time I had an extremely high stress job and handled it just fine.

Now, I find that I am freaking out about stuff (I don't mean recently - I mean for the last few YEARS!) Part of it I think is that I do part of my job from home, ergo no dividing line between work and not work! And, now the kids activities seem to get me all overstressed. There are too many people and personalities involved.

I know I need more down time, but how do you get that??

I also think more chickens would probably help!! [​IMG]

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I deal with stress by listening to music, exercising, reading, and taking long showers.

I think you are up for laying down some ground rules for a mandatory daily quiet time in your house: TV off, computer off, music off, minimal talking, everyone grab a book or something quiet to do and just chill. [​IMG]

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Stress is a constant battle, and it is not that easy to get rid of it.

I am also still fighting it.

Sympathy is with you.

Jena.

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Been in your shoes ...used to be highly stressed [​IMG] ....a total basket case and I could be a witch!!!! [​IMG] ...but I found the answer to that problem.....AGE. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you get older...your priorities begin to change and suddenly the little things dont seem to matter enough to get upset about.
    Like that slow elderly driver going only 35mph in front of you ?...or the incredibley rude people you meet during your trip to the store...??
    I just take a deep breath , smile at that rude person, pray, and also? ...I walk!!
    Maybe it is the walking and not age ..but since I began walking a couple of miles a day...I am a totally different person!! I lost 20 lbs. my bones and muscles dont ache and I just feel better !!
    It is a medically proven fact that exercise reduces stress...so hopefully you can try that!? HOpe this helps....I remember those days of pullin out my hair and loosing control ...not a pretty sight!!

( OH and also ...sitting out in the yard and watching your chickens .....THAT makes all your cares seem far away! And that
    is what chickens are all about!! ) [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I insist my teenage daughters are in their rooms shortly after 8pm. They can stay up and read for a while, but they first need to brush their teeth and such, and then be in their rooms ready for bed. That gives me an hour or so with no background noise to plan out the next day, and unwind from the current day. I think they sleep better, too.

On Fridays & Saturdays they are allowed to deviate from the 8pm bedtime. But we have at least one weekend day each month that is a 'jammie day' where we don't get have to get dressed or go anywhere.

Also, if the kids want extra activities that require my partcipation, then they are assigned an extra chore in exchange. That makes my life a little simpler, too.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    That sounds like some good ideas.

I am starting to say no to some of these activities. Scouting is good for them, but there seems to be something every single weekend and my girls cannot belong to the same troop - that alone is a huge pain in the ****.

I do walk every day simply because my driveway is so long! I get two miles a day normally, but the weather has been so bad lately that I think I also have cabin fever.

ANyway, thanks for the tips!

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Chickens- they're cheep therapy.

No, really. We find it SO relaxing to just watch the girls scratch around.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I think a person has to really want to avoid stress badly enough to sit down and weed it out of their lives. I have co-workers who are stressed to the max every day juggling the job, kid's sports and activities, family problems, money problems...you name it, they've got it!

I don't.

The difference?

I choose to make stress relief a big priority in my life. Above all the other things going on in this world, being content and happy is my biggest goal right now. If outside stressors are threatening that zen place for me, I eliminate the stressor, if at all possible.

First, I developed my spiritual life and my relationship with God. Everything else falls into place after that! What you cannot handle on your own, refer to God and He will take care of it. Simple as that. [​IMG]

Money? I live frugally and don't buy things I have to make payments on. Get rid of unnecessary spending. It can be done! [​IMG]

Kids? They are kids and they don't have to be toted around, titillated and entertained all the time by this activity or that one. I never had that growing up and I had time to develop my intellect and personality. Kids need to know that parents are people too...not their personal driver, event planner and coordinator, ATM, cook and housekeeper. Give kids chores, boundaries, limit their activities~why can't they just be kids? You know, play with their siblings, interact with their parents, imaginative play, or even~dare I say it~just read a book?

Job? I didn't stop looking until I found one that didn't stress the life out of me. AND I avoid those co-workers who bleed stress or cause it on a daily basis.

Home? You don't have to answer the phone each time it rings. Turn off the TV, computers, radios...whatever causes noise pollution...have standard quiet times.

How do you get it? You fight for it! Its not just a want...its for your health! If you want to be around long enough to become a grandmother, remove the stress.

Pray each day that God's will be done, thank Him for what you have, spread the love..... and fight to keep your life simple. It works like a charm! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by