stressed 11 mo BO pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chooniecat, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    have an 11 mo BO pullet that I noticed yesterday is missing feathers on back of neck. no blood and can't see any pests. I DID introduce 5 4 mo pullets a couple of weeks ago and they've done well and noticed last night that 3 of new group were squeezed in with old group and the BO with missing feathers was mad. she pecked me quite aggressively and I moved the 3 new pullets to another area. I have a roost but everyone beds down in their nest area(which is large enuf for everyone so just moved babies to lower area) will try to make another HIGHER roost because THAT could be the problem(their current roost,that they don't like at night, is 18" off floor so maybe need it higher?) kindof thinking in print so forgive me.[​IMG]they have plenty of room at night but scrunch together. buffy is on far right with little red(NH red) and hawkish(ameracauna) next to her.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    You might wait a little while before suspecting feather picking. I had a VERY simular incident with an Americana chicken the exact same age. She suddenly stopped laying and had a bare spot suddenly appear right on the back of her neck and I immediately thought she was being picked or stressed. A week later, she developed a huge mass of pin feathers in the bare spot.

She was simply moulting, in a strange way. She is back to her normal self now and is laying just fine. I hope this helps!!

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    don't think the breed matters ,certainly, but the buff orpington in question WAS acting EXTREMELY upset and if it IS just moulting thats the best case scenario. will STILL change roost heigth(<this word is SO not spelled right?) and hope for best. thanks for the suggestion. as far as egg production, have 3 excellent layers but only getting 1 egg a day(if lucky). we'll see how they do in a month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by