Stressed button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LaceyNylons, Aug 12, 2011.

1. LaceyNylons

LaceyNylons New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Hi there everyone [​IMG]

I am fairly new to this world of caring for button quail but I love it so far! I purchased two quail a few days after my 21st birthday in early June, one is a male chinese painted named 'peep-peep' and the other is a female silver named 'peep'. I was told they were around 3months old when I purchased them.

They live in an elevated terrarium L:120cm W:30cm H:45cm with a clumping sand floor covering and soft wire roof to ease the stress of "boinking". My father in law helped me make them a little wooden elevated 'nesting box' filled with straw and hiding places underneath the elevated floor. I have silk plants in the tank to provide cover and grass stickers along the side of the glass so they don't walk into it :p

I feed them every day with turkey crumble, finch seed mix, broccoli, peas, shell grit and occasionally millet spray and live mealy worms. They have fresh water every day.

I feel like this is a good start, but there are some issues that I need to resolve.

1) Peep, my female silver button is balding [​IMG] I thought it was initially from boinking, but I caught the male pecking her head one night. It has not got worse or better over the last few weeks. Could this be from mating? I was thinking I could combat this issue with low ambient light and some of that blue dye I have read about and a high protein diet to help her regenerate her lost feathers.

2) Peep seems 'stressed' during full daylight hours. She runs up and down the terrarium rapidly while Peep-peep just chills. Is this normal behaviour or is my poor girl stressed? She chills out down in the evenings when the light is fading. Will she always be a skiddish quail?

3) Is sand in the bottom of the tank a good idea? It is clumping sand, and I have modified a cat pooper scooper to sift small sand through while catching the poops. I scoop their poops every other day and change the sand every few weeks for clean sand.

4) I am not sure if my female is actually female! She is a plain coloured silver and has no bib or markings BUT she makes calling noises that resemble that of what I have read a male should do. She stands tall and 'crows' three or four times loudly. The chinese painted makes these noises too.

5) My chinese painted does this very cute but odd hopping thing. He crouches in the sand as low as he can get, and hops around! He walks normally, but does this every now and then. The hopping is not very high, it is just like a little happy bounce around the tank. Is this normal?

Any help would be appreciated. I love my little quails and want to give them the best care possible <3

Thanks!

Ashley [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can check the vents for any pink or red feathers...that is indicator for male on the silver blue faces (what peep is since silver and no bib). If you have two males in a pen, one can be very bald due to dominance. And Chinese painted are an incorrect term. It's Chinese Blue Breasted (CBBQ) quail.

3. LaceyNylons

LaceyNylons New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Thank you Quail Lady [​IMG] I have been lurking on these forums a lot lately and you seem to give the best advice. Will check for coloured feathers around vents and see how it goes. I love them both to pieces but don't want two males housed together... and thanks for the correction on terminology. I would have never guessed there was a difference. Looks like I learned some useful stuff today [​IMG]

4. LaceyNylons

LaceyNylons New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    ok, feathers around vent checked, no sign of red or pink feathers - white/ silver feathers all round. Can I assume this means peep is in fact a she? I don't know how to explain her standing tall and crowing though. Will do some homework to try and figure out what exactly people look for when checking vents so I can give that a go too.

(Should edit my original post, beach sand is used in the enclosure, not clumping sand. Will look for a suitable wood shaving substitute.)

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Thats a locator call"where are you where are you!" Is what they are saying. I know this because I have several buttons as well. Purely locator. Crowing is a darth vader sound... Trust me when you peev off a button enough to hear it you will know it.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    When males are not crowing, however they stand up tall and produce a three pitch call (pew, pew, pew). They have a growl for a crow and it sounds wind like. The females will emit a 1-2 pitch call (pew or pee pew). This is mainly to proclaim their territories. Cbbq are very interesting in their behavior.

7. LaceyNylons

LaceyNylons New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    I love watching them when I study. I guess I have heard neither of them "crow" then. They both stand tall and peep several times in a row mind you. Maybe my girl has a hormone imbalance that causes male behaviour? I guess egg laying will be the true test. No eggs yet. Would be around 5months old now.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by