Stressed chickenmama

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewChickenmama06, May 18, 2019.

1. NewChickenmama06

NewChickenmama06 Songster

Apr 5, 2019
    Western Ma
    I have 5 black Australorp pullets and black Australorp cockerel. Tonight is the very first night they are staying outside in their coop.
    I am so stressed that the big raccoons we have around here are going to get them. We have them close to the house and the coop has an electric fence all around it, but I'm still worried.
    Is this normal for a new chicken mama?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Everyone loves chicken! If your coop is predator proof, all will be well. If it's not, fix it!
    Electric fencing is great, but can't be your only defense. Rats and weasels, for example, will get past it easily. No openings larger than 1/2" diameter anywhere, solid walls, good ventilation, all very important.
    Mary

3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I went through the same thing. In fact I still worry and its over a year later.

I have hardware cloth from top to bottom and 2 feet out on the ground, a heavy duty net and 8 strands of electric wire all around. If they get past that I have hardware cloth around the coop on the ground, double hardware cloth on coop wherever there is hardware cloth.

And I still worry.

4. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    Yes it's normal. Consider a baby monitor...it gives me peace of mind to know I'd hear anything going on.

5. As far as i can tell many of us have had the same worries and fears. Some of us have even crept out in the night with a flashlight to see how they are doing. It is a major hurdle to peace of mind.

6. NewChickenmama06

Apr 5, 2019
    Western Ma
    We are one it! Thanks. They made it through with no signs of predators. :bow

starri33, moniquem, Trux and 4 others like this.
  7. NewChickenmama06

Apr 5, 2019
    Western Ma
    That thought crossed my mind for sure last night! Had a hard time sleeping. Thanks:love

starri33, anderstr196 and hispoptart like this.
  8. NewChickenmama06

Apr 5, 2019
    Western Ma
    (Sigh) so I guess no matter how much we predator proof, there will always be that worry in the back of my mind. Thanks. I feel my worry is at least valid!

9. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Mine aren't even out to their coop yet, we're doing everything we can to make it predator-proof - and I know I'm STILL going to worry!

10. NewChickenmama06

Apr 5, 2019
    Western Ma
    I guess as chicken parents, we are going to worry. Dang those sneaky predators :tongue

starri33 and hispoptart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: