stressed ducks?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fruitbat, Jul 25, 2013.

1. fruitbat

fruitbat New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Recently are two female ducks have started squatting down puffing up their feathers and making quite a high pitched squeaking noise... As far as a can see there is nothing in the pen scarring them no pigeons or cats etc, they have water and food, but I'm starting to feet worried as its quite a distressing sound, they also seem to run around in circles a lot. This periodically happens and then they calm down. Advice would be greatly appreciated please.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Are they perhaps reaching sexual maturity?

The running in circles might just be duck exuberance. Ducks are happy creatures which celebrate life often throughout the day.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

How old are they? sounds like they could be showing a bit of broodiness, what breed?

4. fruitbat

fruitbat New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    They are Indian Runners X Khaki Campbells and about 2yrs old. Is there anything we can do?

5. Miss Lydia

If broody then either give them some fertile eggs to sit on or ignore and let it run it's course. if that's what it is. When they come outside do they have a really huge nasty poop and ruffle their feathers chasing everyone/ that's another way to recognize a broody. just generally in a bad mood. and if you try to stick your hand under them to check for eggs most likely your going to get nipped which I can vouch for as I have 4 girls right now that are broody and sitting on nothing since I take their eggs daily. But boy can they pinch.

6. fruitbat

fruitbat New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    They dont chase us particularly and it doesnt bother them when we take the eggs... In fact they dont go in the house at all. Theres a lot of ruffley feathers. My biggest concern is the neighbours complaning about the noise as they start with the loud quacking really early, and as we are in rent accomodation if the neughbours complain we are going to have to rehome... Any idea how long this might go on for?

7. fruitbat

fruitbat New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Have noticed them seem more easily spooked and trying nipping each other more than normal. Am trying the egg idea today in the outside pen where they sometimes lay. A family member who previously owned ducks wondered as its v hot here at the moment if the mixed corn we give them might be sending them a bit funny? Might this also be a possibilty?
    Many thanks for the advice and tips this site seems to be the onlu place to shed any light on the matter.

8. Miss Lydia

Do they have a pool to cool off in? could something be coming around at night or day that is scaring them? doesn't sound like broody to me especially if they aren't going into their house, but if I was you I would be locking them up in that house for their own protection at night, unless your run is like fort knox. Most domesticated ducks are pretty loud but I feel something else is going on with yours for them to be acting like they are. Corn does add extra heat that's why a lot of us give corn in the winter months for night time heating. but I feed corn to my flock year round too, only as treat though not as sole feed. They need a balanced feed first. Their house needs to be well ventilated because ammonia build up from their poop is very unhealthy, but I would be working on getting them use to laying their eggs inside making sure they have nice fluffy bedding and a quiet place to lay. And trying to figure out what is stressing them out so much, What is your drake to duck ratio? and tell us about their sleeping and foraging habits. and neighbors do they have dogs that could be coming around upsetting your ducks?

9. fruitbat

fruitbat New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi. Yes we lock them in theur house at night which is where they lay their eggs normally occasionally they lay them outside. The neighbour has a dog but hes always been there if that makes sense.
    We have no drakes just two females, they seem a lot calmer today tho.
    They have a nice pond and shade in the pen. Their house is quite big and ventaliated, we switched to just layers pellets so maybe that will help

10. Miss Lydia

Glad to hear they are more settled today, I tell you these girls are as hormonal as us women are so no telling what might have been going on, glad to hear they are safely locked up at night too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by