Stressed female - messy vent, lethargy - help please

Kirstyab

Hatching
Jul 1, 2020
We have had two ducks killed by a fox in two days leaving a solitary female. She is silent and lethargic and wobbly on her feet.
I am concerned that after the first night she laid a soft shelled egg for the first time, today nothing and her vent is messy.
she’s not preening, although she tried after I put her in the pond for a bob. She tried to reach her oil gland but was too unsteady.

What do I look out for, danger signs of health deterioration? as she is so stressed, I would like to leave the vet as a last resort.
She was not hurt by the fox, but obviously traumatised.

Any advice would be appreciated.
many thanks

I am so sorry you lost 2 ducks at one time and now only one left. I'm sure she is very traumatized and needs to be kept safe and secure. Anyway you can fix her up inside maybe a large dog crate or something similar so you can see how she is eating and reacting. If this happened in the coop or run she may never feel secure there.
Messy vent can be tummy upset which would not be unusual being what she has been through. You have checked her over real good for wounds? If she isn't eating not interested and food say 24 hr after the attack [she needs time to get over shock] something serious is going on with her. I can only rec a vet especially if this keeps up.

Back
Top Bottom