Stressed Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedKate, Aug 22, 2010.

1. RedKate

RedKate Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Hello everyone -
    I've been searching topics without ever joining since we got our first hens in August last year. Now I need some advice. We have 6 hens that have been laying, reliably, anywhere from 4-6 eggs daily since March - we were on vacation & had the neighbors watching the girls. They have their own chickens so know the drill but I still gave them a walk-through on the how what where. When we got home from 8 days away there was NO food in the feeder (holds quite a bit, it takes them 4-5 days to go through it all if I let it run down) and when I filled it they went at it like they were starving. In the week we've been back we've gotten 0-2 eggs a day. I'm assuming this is stress related, for whatever reason these people didn't feed them enough & may or may not have let them out of the actual coop while we were away. Our delaware hen also seems to be headed into her first molt based on the white feathers everywhere I'm finding.

Can I expect them to get back on a more regular laying schedule ever? How long could it take? I can be patient but I'm very worried about them and want to be sure I shouldn't be doing anything differently than I am.

Needless to say these neighbors will not be watching them again. Ever.

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi RedKate and welcome to BYC! I think you are right and they are stressed by the horrible neighbors. Maybe give them some extra protein treats like meal worms or boiled eggs. I think they will start laying again.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Obviously they were needing food, but also, if these gals are turning a year this month, it's possible they are starting to molt. Where are you? Was it very hot during the time you were away? That may have added to stress.
    In my experience, molt lasts anywhere from two weeks to 8 weeks. It depends on the chicken. Baby them with BOSS for extra protein to help get them through the molt.

4. RedKate

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks - I've started giving them the BOSS and some higher protein snacks. Our delaware hen is definitley molting and it looks like the dominique & the wyandotte are starting too. As long as everyone stays healthy then I'm happy.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I'm new but it sounds like a molt. I just want to say. You might want to keep an eye out for neglect of your neighbors chickens.if they did that to yours when they knew you would be coming home who is feeding and watering theirs

6. RedKate

Aug 22, 2010
    Good point. I can't see them too well without wandering over there but their coop is up against my fence so it's a good excuse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by