Stressed hens after fox raid

FusterCluck

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2022
Hi.
A fox got to our chooks around 5:15am today. We had 4 hens, 3 Australorps and a bantam. I woke up to a ruckus and the fox did a runner, but not before one hen was killed and 2 others went missing.
Over the course of 2-3 hours the two missing hens made an appearance (I think they'd hidden themselves around the backyard). All three remaining hens appear uninjured apart from some missing feathers, although they've all obviously been stressed.
They've been confined to the coop with food and water for the day (I'll let them out for a bit at lunchtime) and we have a 'nursery shed' big enough to hold them tonight which is around the other side of the house, so if (when) the fox comes back they'll be away from the coop.

Naturally I'm concerned about the stress. Both the returned hens are up in the top of the coop (at least one is in the nesting box, I don't want to open the coop and stress them any more).

What behaviours should I keep an eye out for?

Also, I assume the fox will come back tonight, but is it likely to return during the day?

My partner hunts for pest control and knows how to make a snare. We may try to catch it tonight. We're in Australia, all foxes are 'kill on sight' pests.

Last edited:
Hi.
A fox got to our chooks around 5:15am today. We had 4 hens, 3 Australorps and a bantam. I woke up to a ruckus and the fox did a runner, but not before one hen was killed and 2 others went missing.
Over the course of 2-3 hours the two missing hens made an appearance (I think they'd hidden themselves around the backyard). All three remaining hens appear uninjured apart from some missing feathers, although they've all obviously been stressed.
They've been confined to the coop with food and water for the day (I'll let them out for a bit at lunchtime) and we have a 'nursery shed' big enough to hold them tonight which is around the other side of the house, so if (when) the fox comes back they'll be away from the coop.

Naturally I'm concerned about the stress. Both the returned hens are up in the top of the coop (at least one is in the nesting box, I don't want to open the coop and stress them any more).

What behaviours should I keep an eye out for?

Also, I assume the fox will come back tonight, but is it likely to return during the day?

My partner hunts for pest control and knows how to make a snare. We may try to catch it tonight. We're in Australia, all foxes are 'kill on sight' pests.
You hens are likely in shock. Give some sugar water, or Gatorade for electrolytes. Try to make sure they eat and drink.

You hens are likely in shock. Give some sugar water, or Gatorade for electrolytes. Try to make sure they eat and drink.
Thank you for the sugar water / electrolyte advice!
I've added some hydralite tabs to their waterer and noticed that the 2 hens that had run off to hide have both laid eggs this morning.
I'll keep an eye on their laying for a while, as I know stress can disrupt things.
I'd already put a whole pile of tinned corn in the coop with them, as a bit of a morale booster.
I'll get some mealworms for them too, which should encourage them to peck about.

Great! Yes good plan on the trap! You can’t have that happen again. Hoping your hens continue to improve 😊

Back
Top Bottom