Stressed Maran stopped laying - help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoCal Chick, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SoCal Chick

SoCal Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Bullhead City, Arizona
    My Cookoo Maran (CM) stopped laying about a month ago. Since I live in Southern California, weather should not be an issue. She has always been a bit high-strung so I think she has stoppped due to stress. There are no mites and she still eats, etc.. I only have 2 hens, the CM and a BR. Their run is on the side of the house, with a coop, and they get to free range in the backyard every afternoon.

One thing I have noticed, both use to drop down when I approached, which I believe is a sign of submission. The BR still does this, but the CM has completely stopped and just runs off. It's not a huge issue for me if she doesn't lay. She and the BR are inseparable and the BR continues to lay 6 eggs per week.

Is there any way to help her overcome and destress? I just want her to be happy and I believe if she isn't laying she isn't happy.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why do you feel that she is stressed? And can you remove the source of her stress? The dropping down is termed 'squatting' and is a hen's indication to the rooster that she would like to mate. Since the Maran is not laying, she is not interested in mating. I would guess that she is just taking a normal break from egg laying. In the spring as the daylength increase she will resume egg laying.

3. SoCal Chick

SoCal Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Bullhead City, Arizona
    Maybe it is me, first time chicken mom and all. There were 2 days where she just wanted back in her cage and just paced and "bellowed" and didn't want to be outside. She stopped laying shortly thereafter. Because she is not laying and the BR is, I'm prone to think it is stress. They are only 9 mos old, and I thought this would not happen till molt, never thinking of stress.

When you mention a "break" does it generally last a couple of months?

Thank you so much for your advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by