stressed out baby chicks

sgarrod

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
New to raising chick and am now a proud mama to two 6 week old chicks. the have a great run 12 by 12 and a self contained chicken tracktor within that. My problem is they are so stressed out when I leave and I've only had them for three days. they pace back and forth until I return. they don't even stop eat or drink till i return. Should I get an older hen to keep them company? Should I get a couple more to add to the flock? I'm desperate as I fear they will die of stress. A cat scared them yesterday and I think they don't feel safe without me now. Also should they have grit at this age now that they are on grass and grower? thanks for any help

I'm not an expert but I do know that its better to have at least 3 or more if you can. Do you not have any other chickens? If you do it would be good if they could see them but they are too young to be with an adult or even one too much bigger as they can get picked on. If you get more you will need to quarantine the newbies to prevent disease or parasites for mingling between birds.

They are especially stressed as its a new place for them, they are fairly young and were probably used to a bigger flock and therefore feeling secure. I would spend time sitting or laying down (on a blanket of course
wink.png
) in the run (an hour or two at a time if possible) and that should allow them to explore the run well knowing you are there. Once they get comfy with the lay of the land they should start feeling less stressed. Read a book if you want but they are so funny just watching may be enough entertainment for you. Make sure the start eating and rinking on their own. The area may also be a bit too big for them at first--they just don't know where its safe.

Give them some scrambled eggs in the new area and show them they get goodies in there may also help.

Yes--chick grit is needed at this age too.

No, don't get a hen for them, she could pick on them.. I would start over, Put them in a brooder out there, with a heat lamp just in case they get cold... let them out to play in the run and explore the coop during the day, but put them back in the brooder at night. I would do that for at least a week, until they can adjust... after you set them loose in there, let them have the lamp for a few nights too it will help ease there transition. Good Luck!
frow.gif

gonzo&hispeeps :

No, don't get a hen for them, she could pick on them.. I would start over, Put them in a brooder out there, with a heat lamp just in case they get cold... let them out to play in the run and explore the coop during the day, but put them back in the brooder at night. I would do that for at least a week, until they can adjust... after you set them loose in there, let them have the lamp for a few nights too it will help ease there transition. Good Luck!
frow.gif

good idea!​

Back
Top Bottom