Stressed out Hen

michellewilles

Hatching
Jun 20, 2018
Help! I have 3 hens. Last week we had a snake in the coop while 1 was nesting. He was in there all day and my hen got super stressed. We thought we got rid of him, but evidence proves us wrong. Tomorrow we are putting down a coop apron and going to address the whole coop. In the meantime, she is super stressed! At first she would come out with the others if I pulled her out of the coop. Now she doesn't want to do anything but sit in her box. This morning she was shaking and I am really worried about her. I put her in a large dog crate in the garage with a sheet over the top so maybe she can get some peace. (This worked for her initially.). Any advice is appreciated.

Help! I have 3 hens. Last week we had a snake in the coop while 1 was nesting. He was in there all day and my hen got super stressed. We thought we got rid of him, but evidence proves us wrong. Tomorrow we are putting down a coop apron and going to address the whole coop. In the meantime, she is super stressed! At first she would come out with the others if I pulled her out of the coop. Now she doesn't want to do anything but sit in her box. This morning she was shaking and I am really worried about her. I put her in a large dog crate in the garage with a sheet over the top so maybe she can get some peace. (This worked for her initially.). Any advice is appreciated.

Your hen ACTUALLY sounds broody! Staying in the next box and becoming shaky is a way they maintain their body temp for hatching. You may be able to test her by removing her from the box. At first they will settle down and stay put for a minute if you quickly set them aside before they had a chance to process what just happened. And after a couple minutes they will get up a run back to the nest.

This is my actual suspicion, let me know! :fl

Your hen ACTUALLY sounds broody! Staying in the next box and becoming shaky is a way they maintain their body temp for hatching. You may be able to test her by removing her from the box. At first they will settle down and stay put for a minute if you quickly set them aside before they had a chance to process what just happened. And after a couple minutes they will get up a run back to the nest.

This is my actual suspicion, let me know! :fl
Interesting! Ok I will give it a try. I just assumed it was the snake because she has been that way since and the snake hole I found was directly under the nesting box where she is but I will definitely try your idea. She is just over a year old so that may make sense too. :)

Well, being broody IS stressful... but YES it's *possible* that she has gone broody even with a predator near by.

I fight broody's daily! :barnie And the behavior described is DEAD on. They will have varying degrees of screeching and crankiness some have even been way calmer than themselves... but it's MUCH different than lethargic.

Possibly. I am new to this and she is only just over a year. Should I return her to the coop?
Well, being broody IS stressful... but YES it's *possible* that she has gone broody even with a predator near by.

I fight broody's daily! :barnie And the behavior described is DEAD on. They will have varying degrees of screeching and crankiness some have even been way calmer than themselves... but it's MUCH different than lethargic.

She isn't lethargic she just doesn't want to leave her empty nest. Can she be broody without laying? (Probably a dumb question!)

Possibly. I am new to this and she is only just over a year. Should I return her to the coop? Did I mention it has been a week since she has laid an egg?
No broody's only come out to eat, poo, and quickly scratch once or twice per day. Their metabolism changes, slows to accommodate not pooping in the nest but being able to sit for very long periods of time. But I like them to have the exercise and give them a chance to evacuate their bowel, grab a drink, and a bite. I USED to think only broody's who had lost significant condition already were the shaky ones but have since discovered it comes on within the first few days and I KNOW my gals haven't lots condition that fast since I obsess about nutrition for my hatching.

She isn't lethargic she just doesn't want to leave her empty nest. Can she be broody without laying? (Probably a dumb question!)
If she was not laying at all... that would be weird. But if she WAS laying, about 3 days in... they won't produce anymore eggs at all because their body has refocused it's attention to where the energy should go.

After you confirm is this is indeed the correct diagnosis then we can decide how you wanna move forward.

My hens will brood AIR... yes an empty nest.

Back
Top Bottom