1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stressed out hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moonlitfarms, Aug 29, 2007.

1. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    I am new to chickens, the first round I bought were pullets and are not laying yet. I chaulk this up to just not being old enough and will start any day. Then I bought a roo and hen, they are light brahma bantams. She was laying before I bought her and has yet to lay for me. It's been 3 weeks. How long will it take her to get back into laying? Am I just being impatient?? And are there any signs to watch for on pullets before they start laying.[​IMG]

Sorry I moved this post to "Behaviors and egglaying" , again sorry new to this and missed that topic!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. boomerge

boomerge Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2007
    If this is a young chicken, it takes up to and about 7 mos. for them to start laying. Not sure if different breeds have a variance. I have bantams and one mixed?Sometimes weather can be a factor. But changing environments and any disruptions can always be a question when will they start laying. Depending on her age, I would suggest you start feeding her laying mash/pellets which can only help. You don't necessarily need a rooster for a hen to start laying. They're only need is for hatching young and getting you up in the morning. Hot temperatures can sometimes can also be a factor, be sure to keep plenty of water for her. But just be patient and things should be fine, she'll start when she's ready.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Could just be the move that is stressful or it's the time of year that the chickens are starting to moult. Egg production always slows down during a moult.

4. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info. After I made that post I noticed she is moulting so I will try my patience and pray she starts to lay again. They make a cute couple and I really would like for her to give me some babies. She is only 18 months old. [​IMG]:fl:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by