Stressed out hens????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moonlitfarms, Aug 29, 2007.

1. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    am new to chickens, the first round I bought were pullets and are not laying yet. I chaulk this up to just not being old enough and will start any day. Then I bought a roo and hen, they are light brahma bantams. She was laying before I bought her and has yet to lay for me. It's been 3 weeks. How long will it take her to get back into laying? Am I just being impatient?? And are there any signs to watch for on pullets before they start laying.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do your girls free range? Is it possible that they are hiding their eggs? They should be laying at 5-6 months old and as for the other hen, about a month and she should be laying now! Is it hot? Or are they molting? Those are things that can all affect laying.

3. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    No they are not free range. I live in Indiana so it's been very humid temps in the 80-90 range. I am so excited about having chickens and trying not to be impatient about laying. I will probably break the first egg I get just because of excitement!!! I am hoping this hen will lay again, she has hatched out eggs before and I am hoping she will do it for me too.

4. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Indiana here too...
    I took a full grown hen from my sister and just the trip down the road to a new coop/flock stressed her enough to quit laying for 2-3 wks...but now she's back to being a regular layer. Give her time, she's do what nature tells her to again.
    I also have a batch of spring pullets that haven't started yet, but any day I hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by