1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stressed rooster acting crazy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amelia Egghart, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Amelia Egghart

Amelia Egghart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    Nero is my 1.5 year old Easter egger rooster. I'm concerned there's something wrong.

1. I think he's molting but it's not going head to tail, he's lost tail and wing feathers and a bunch of body fluff. Have only seen a few new feathers growing but he doesn't have any bare patches (other than no tail).

2. He paces, crows more frequently and behaves agitated.

3. His eyes which are usually looking around between the girls, the ground and the sky are looking out and wide.

4. He's preening, but not well. He's dirty and has feathers out of place even though he spends time grooming himself.

5. It's been unseasonably hot (100F). Although now it's evening and has cooled, he's still panting after the girls have stopped.

Am I just seeing a rooster stressed from a long molt and hot weather? Or something more sinister? :( I miss my big, beautiful boy!

[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd look for parasites, at night, with a flashlight. Are you dealing with mites or lice? Neighborhood predators/ barking dogs? Any other stress? Mary

3. Amelia Egghart

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA

I check every night for creepy crawlies and other than spiders which are quickly dispatched, I haven't seen anything.

We do have new hens which we got for him but he's been ignoring them. They roost separately for now and we've had them since April.

4. Amelia Egghart

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    Night. 81F. He's still panting. Girls are asleep and breathing normally. He's been through hotter and didn't behave this way. :-/

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Don't bother looking for mites and lice. Treat for them by both dusting, spraying, and dipping your birds in the appropriate pesticide., then worm them even though you don't see any of these pests.

Your hens and roosters will be slick and as shiny as a new penny.

6. Amelia Egghart

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    I was thinking of going at it with guns blazing. Roger that. Feed store is gunna love me. Hah. What dips are there for birds? That might be good in this hot weather anyway.

7. Amelia Egghart

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    Elector PSP seems like a good start, plus I can spray it around. He might be molting but I haven't been diligent enough about picking up the dropped feathers so it's probably a prime environment for poultry lice even though I haven't seen any.

The breeder I got a few birds from locally says he uses safeguard so I'll probably try that as well. Was going to use it a little later but maybe in a week when it cools a little.

First gotta try a dip and a good coop cleaning.

Thanks everyone. He's still breathing heavy and it's late at night :-/ poor guy.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Permethrin spray concentrate, love it! See the new thread about it, used instead of the dust. Mary

10. Amelia Egghart

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA

Did all that, got nothing.

The new birds have been here since April as 3 day olds and were quarantined first (brooder in the house, pretty easy since they were babies). Nothing came from them except maybe stress.

I even pulled apart the wood planks in the coop right under where they roost and got nothing. Plus I clean in there frequently with the shop vac, sevin and oxine.

He could just be a super grumpy and stressed molter, plus with it being really unseasonably hot, he's just over it. LOL I hope! He IS spoiled rotten. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by