Stressed Silkies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeePants, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I just brought two silkies home about 3 hours ago from a local breeder. They're our first chickens (incubating didn't work out, haha) so I'm not worried about infecting other chickens, but one of them is acting funny.

The buff is breathing slowly, sleeping, eating, pooping, etc. Both of their poops look normal (is this as important in chickens as it is in parrots?). The little splash, however, is breathing very quickly and with his beak open. I don't know if he's just nervous or stressed or if he's sick- I gave them a cursory once over before we picked them out and they were both acting normal, with no unusual discharge from the eyes, nose, or mouth. I dipped his beak in the water bowl and food so they both know where that is.

They're about 4 weeks old, and she had them outside, but we've got them in the house for now. Is it maybe because it's too cold?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Beak open can mean scared or hot. Also can be seen in respiratory illness and gapeworm.

In your situation, I would venture to guess your chicken is worried about what's going to happen next? (New home)

3. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I think you are right, as s/he is acting normal today. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by