Stressing about Mean girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyRedStarz, Sep 30, 2011.

1. MyRedStarz

MyRedStarz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Hi all...

Well...i've been having a little trouble with my 3 girls getting along (Red Stars about 25 weeks old). Within last 2-3 weeks, Ruby and Topaz have been picking on my favorite hen, Garnet. I have felt so sorry for her (she was hiding out in the coop to get away from them) that i decided to try to give the meanest girl (Topaz) an attitude adjustment and put her in a separate, isolated pen. That left Garnet and Ruby together. Well it's only been 2 days, but Ruby is still picking on Garnet. Garnet is not as frantic as she was before with both of them picking on her, but now i'm wondering if i should have put Ruby in Solitary Confinement.???? I thought Topaz was the dominent one, and Ruby was just following her lead, but now i'm wondering. [​IMG]

I really want all of them to be together again...until 23 weeks they seemed so cohesive, then all of a sudden...disharmony. Is it normal for them to pick one hen, then eventually, it works out? or am i looking at keeping them separated indefinetly.

I need a class in chicken sociology...[​IMG]

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    There's going to be a pecking order, & it seems, not much you can do about it. I probably would have tried isolating the meanest hen as well, but once re-introduced, the pecking order may or may not be re-established just as it was. Do they have plenty of room? Boredom can lead to more infighting with hens. Try hanging a suet feeder with fresh veggies to peck or get a big chicken pasture block (pecker wrecker) to give them something to do besides pick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by