stretch neck method

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jeremy Parker, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't like this method there is to much blood left in the bird the breast is so dark!!

A friend from Germany showed me this method.

Hold by feet and neck stretch neck till it pops no blood, but i want them to bleed!

I will not use this method!

Has anyone else tried this method???? [​IMG]

Jeremy

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I did it on a young bird and I truly didnt care for it... I much prefer to just remove the whole head..

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me cervical dislocation or fracture is a good method of culling (not so messy), but a poor method of killing for meat because the bird does not bleed out as well.

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I have never done this method before, but I was wondering: If you were to use this method, could you not make a cut to bleed it out after?

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yep, absolutely. We actually did 15 meaties using this method this morning - if you don't feel like they bleed as well, you can just take a sharp knife and slit their veins. Works just as well as any other method.

You will probably inadvertently decapitate a few though - and the larger roosters take quite a bit of force. I do think it is one of the least traumatic ways to kill your birds though (for the bird anyway, which, IMO, is the most important)

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Good question... I'm going to be doing meaties this fall.. and i'm not looking forward to neck slicing or chopping..
    I'd rather just do the stretch method or broomstick method and let them bleed out after??..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  7. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Quote:Thats why I will not use this method, you end up handling the bird twice?? Why not just cut the head off, it bleeds and its dead and you have handled once!

To each there own though!
    Blessings,
    Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by