Stretching quail feed

birdmandan

Songster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne SE Suburbs
Hi everyone.

I am trying to keep my quail raising costs as low as possible.

It seems it takes about a kg of feed or 2lb to grow a quail to slaughter size.

Yes, they are greedy and wasteful feeders.

Game bird starter is $25 for a 20kg bag.

It is costing me over $1 in feed to grow a bird not to mention all the fixed costs and utilities.

A quail at the supermarket sells for around $3 each and the labour of slaughtering and cleaning is already covered.

I have thought about stretching out the food. Feed with game bird starter for 3 weeks, then change to a chicken layer than sells at nearly half the price. Game bird maintenance has only 15% protein, same as chicken layer but at a higher price.

It seems logical for me to feed chicken layers to adult birds and supplement with a bit of game bird starter for extra protein. A handful of mealworms will give a 20% protein boost and earthworms will give a whopping 60%-70%.

Anyone here tried stretching their feed?
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi everyone.

I am trying to keep my quail raising costs as low as possible.

It seems it takes about a kg of feed or 2lb to grow a quail to slaughter size.

Yes, they are greedy and wasteful feeders.

Game bird starter is $25 for a 20kg bag.

It is costing me over $1 in feed to grow a bird not to mention all the fixed costs and utilities.

A quail at the supermarket sells for around $3 each and the labour of slaughtering and cleaning is already covered.

I have thought about stretching out the food. Feed with game bird starter for 3 weeks, then change to a chicken layer than sells at nearly half the price. Game bird maintenance has only 15% protein, same as chicken layer but at a higher price.

It seems logical for me to feed chicken layers to adult birds and supplement with a bit of game bird starter for extra protein. A handful of mealworms will give a 20% protein boost and earthworms will give a whopping 60%-70%.

Anyone here tried stretching their feed?
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi I stretch the food by adding fruit and veg. Usually whatever I have left over from the family. Mine love carrots and red cabbage. Apple slices are also appreciated. I have just started growing grass in trays which I plan to put a wire top on. The grass grows over the wire which is then eaten but the roots still grow. That way they have access to fresh green shoots. However I stop them wasting the pellet food by using an ice-cream tub with a hole just large enough to get their heads in. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info tivka. Scraps are great but my main concern is protein to ensure fast growth. I have seen many forums suggest things like alfalfa sprouts or parsley but at 3%-4% protein, it would act as a treat than body building feed. I will try out feeding chicken layer feed from 3 weeks with the mealworms and earthworms that i farm and report back with the results.

May I ask where you're located? I pay $15 Canadian for my bag of feed and I hear in the states it's available at TSC.

You can also use non medicated turkey starter which usually has at least 25% protein in it.

I would call around and see if you can get a cheaper price for your feed :D

Mealworms seems like the best idea to supplement since they are high in protein and nutritious and feed on scraps so are basically free. :)

Actually, im on the huge island, full of venomous creatures, on the western edge of the pacific, in the southern hemisphere. The cheapest 20kg game starter feed is $25. Chicken layer feed is only $15. So it does work out about $1.50 to grow a chick to 8 weeks.

Streaching could reduce that to under $1. If im processing 500-1000 a year, it does add up. Then again, if i process them at 10 weeks, i would get a lot more meat per bird and lots of eggs at the expense of probably another kg of feed...

Ahh hmm, if what you're looking for is profit, quail eggs around here go for about $5.00 a dozen, sometimes more for fertilized eggs that are special colors or if the edible eggs are organic. Maybe there's a market where you are?

Might be good to farm the eggs mainly and the extra males can be meat for yourself or selling? :)

Good news for me. This lady who breeds quails by the thousands sold me feed for under $1 a kg. Really good stuff, custom made by the mill at 33% protein. Mind you, she buys it in 3 ton lots as that is the minimum order from the mill. I bought 90kg off her... around 200lb. Maybe if a group of locals can band together and share resources, we can all get high quality, high protein feed at discount prices.

Wow, that is lucky! I can't even get Game bird feed where I am in New Zealand (not without paying ridiculous shipping costs). The best I can do is 20% meatbird crumbles. I do ferment their feed and that makes it go even further (considering meatbird crumbles are $40 for 25kg)! I certainly wouldn't want to be feeding a large number of quail on it!

Back
Top Bottom