Strictly Daytime - Chicken Wires Predators

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rural, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Rural

Rural Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Hello All

I am new to BYC and also a newbie to chicken-keeping, I signed up because I needed a question answered that is not already clearly answered. Can someone here who has first-hand experience please share your experience.

I will be building a 48 in x 48 in x 24 in chicken tractor (CT) for my young 6-week pullets for them to be in before they transition into the Main Run with the older hens. The pullets will only be in the CT during the daytime.

There are feral cats, raccoons & possums around the area (as I have already trapped many).

I am on a LIMITED BUDGET AND CAN ONLY AFFORD TO USE CHICKEN WIRES. How effective is the chicken wire at protecting my young chickens? Has anyone witness chicken wires deter/defeat predators during the day? I need some reassurance, please help.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm afraid chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in but not good for keeping predators out. They can easily chew and rip it apart. Hard ware cloth is the best option to be secure. I'm sure if you post in our coop and run section members there will be able to offer you more advice ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-amp-run-design-construction-amp-maintenance

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I have to second the advice of CTKen in reference to what chicken wire is and is not suited for. Other than the feral cats, I would think most times opossums and raccoons wouldn't be too much of a day time issue - and by night I assume they are safe in the coop? But with CW I'd also worry about a dog (feral or otherwise) crashing through and wiping out your flock. Hope you can rig something up to keep them safe. Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on Yorkshire Coop's comments. Hardware cloth may be a big part of your coop/tractor budget but it's cheaper than having to doctor injured birds or having to replace your flock.

Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  6. Rural

Rural Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I keep hearing that chicken wire is "not predator proof" - but under the circumstance I mentioned (daytime) will it deter/defend well with regard to the predators I mentioned (raccoon, possum, cats) ? I mean... has there been instances of the chicken wire being defeated during the day??

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The only thing chicken wire can do, is keep your chickens where they should be inside your coop. Outside is 0 protection from fox, cats, raccoons (they do come during the day if they know food is available) raptors can fly in.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Rural [​IMG] Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I would not trust chicken wire, day time or night time. As drumstick diva has mentioned, raptors [and here in Aus, Crows] can easily kill or severely injure young chicks through the chicken wire.

You might want to check out the Predator & Pests Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests and also pop in and say hello on your local thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by