Strictly seed eaters...?!

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
How weird are my chicks. 12 weeks old and dont show ANY interest in anything other than their growers mash and chic seed 1. I had hoped to get some plain yogurt in them today as they have diarrhea from meds but it was a straight fail. Left it there for ages and even put a bit on beaks and there was no interest. Could it be because they are young and have only ever had mash and seed. Any other ideas to help tummies?

Try whole grains that can include whole corn kernels and BOSS with hulls on. I also provide millet / milo and oats (not oatmeal). Make certain they are getting plenty of grit.

If you have access to live insects then try those. When I need insects that are easy to store then live mealworms are preferred. Grasshoppers and crickets also work. Insects normally would dominate diet of 12 week old birds.

Birds of that age should also consume vegetative plant materials.

Consumption of live animal and plant items can enhance intake of the typical formulated fair. I have played around with yogurt and other highly processed food but found the more natural foods to have better stimulatory effects.

Thanks for advice. Ill get cracking on a couple changes. Just gave them oats, they looked at it as if it were a nuclear missile
1f601.png
. Ill go to our pet supply store tomorrow for worms and crickets too. Most places in SA are quite backward and generic with chicken feeds so ill have to do some hunting for the other items to feed my fluff bums. Maybe do shopping in organic stores.

"Fluff bums" I love it!

I thought my chickies were going to be picky because at first they wouldn't touch new foods. But, it's just that it's new and scary for those little chickens.lol When left alone with new things, someone would eventually try it and word would spread.

The first treats mine got were dried mealworms. They were terrified of them. Then one got eaten and soon chicks were grabbing them lightning fast and running full speed away while other chicks tried to steal it. Hilarious! But now they know I'm the treat lady and they will give an exploratory peck at anything I give them. I'd definitely suggest mealworms to get them interested in other foods. It's like chicken crack.

Lol classic. Mine need some crack then! Its sooo cute when one has a treat and takes off. Then its a race! Cant wait til mine do that! Ill pop out tomorrow to get worms. Ahhh yes the treat lady...sounds like my kitties. I cant do ANYTHING in kitchen without 1 or 2 at my feet grinning for a treat
1f602.png

LOL My kitties are the same. I've actually nicknamed one "The Scavenger" because she'd rather see what we are eating than eat her own food. She's a stealthy little thief if food is left unattended, and a horribly pushy beggar when it isn't unattended. But of course, I know that I created the monster by sharing with her all the time.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom