STRIDOR with my hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeezyBeezy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    My hen is making very odd noises as she breathes. Every breath sounds like a harmonica, or like stridor in a human (when the airways are tight, it sounds sing-songy). No snotty nose or eyes, nothing obvious. I have no idea how long she's been like this. I saw them this afternoon at about 2 and she was fine, and it's now 4:30.

I'm thinking she either swallowed something a little too big, or inhaled something that made her airway irritated. I tried looking in her mouth, but I can't do it alone, she keeps fighting me. I have her separated for now. Any ideas??

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Oh, and she sneezes every so often, but it's like a loud CHIRP, not a sneeze through the nostrils.

3. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Well, at 6 she was still stridorous, but now, at 8, is quiet. Fingers crossed for the morning!!

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

sorry, can't help...

5. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I have a hen named Cinder who did this. Turned out she had wet fowl pox and was inhaling her own saliva. I made sure to give her food moistened with water so she did not inhale it. Sounds exactly like her.

6. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    She ended up just fine- who the heck knows what it was??? She's been laying for awhile (I found one post where a hen did it after laying). She must have strained her throat/airway somehow. By the moring she was her nomral self and out to the flock. No new noise since....

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Probably ate a feather with chickens who knows. Glad she's better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by