String around tongue!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newlove, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Newlove

Newlove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    NSW Australia
    My almost 3 week old light Sussex, has string around his/her tongue...I managed to cut the Length and cut it apart but it is embedded in the tongue! It is about half way on the tongue, and the tip looks dead.

Should I let him/her rest for the night and try to remove again tomorrow? when I pulled it pulls the tongue I was worried I may pull the tongue out :(

Is there something I can do to stop infection? Or the whole tongue dying?

2. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    Hi,
    Oh gosh I really don't know! Well, the tongue may not be infected. The string could have just cut off the circulation. You could try using tweezers to get the string from the embedded spot. You may need two people. One to hold, one to "operate". I'm really sorry. This may end up being a job for the vet. You should use tetracycline if it is infected. The number one thing right now would getting that string off.
    Good luck.
    Utterly Blessed Farm.

3. Newlove

Newlove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Thankyou for your reply he/she does seem to be ok eating and drinking, I definitely thick the end of the tongue has died.... So I will wait and see!

I will be keeping a closer eye in future, this is the sneeky chick that breaks free from the brooder.

4. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    Hi,
    I have one of those sneaky ones. He is rather annoying at times. =]
    If the tip falls off, you may be able to then get the string off.
    Feel free to contact me anytime with any poultry questions.
    Good luck!
    Utterly Blessed Farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by