string like worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencountry, Dec 11, 2013.

1. chickencountry

chickencountry New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    When cleaning out my chicken coop this morning I found string like worms in some of the chicken droppins. Not sure which chicken would do this. What can I give them to keep them from having worms. They are free roaming so they are out everywhere in the pasture and fields so they are pecking on whatever they find. Is this good or not. HELP![​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its basically impossible to keep chickens from getting worms, unless you raise them entirely on wire and control everything. All you can do is treat for worm infestations. It would probably be a good idea to get two dewormers-- Wazine, which only kills roundworms, and a broad spectrum one like Safeguard of Valbazen. Worm with the Wazine first and then the Safeguard or Valbazen. Otherwise, you may overload the bird's system with dead worms all at once. Giving the Wazine first will reduce this problem, as you will get the roundworms out of the way before getting rid of other worms.

3. chickencountry

chickencountry New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you so much for the information. I try to keep their coop as clean as possible each day and this is the first time I have seen any worms at all so it was a shock to me. I will do what you suggested. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by