String wrapped around tongue

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
One of the 7 week old chicks pulled a thread out of the terrycloth in the brooder and it's wrapped around his tongue.
I 'released' him from the terry cloth end and shortened up the thread as he was stepping on it
Its news year day and everyone is asleep at the neighbors, no one else here at my house.
Has anyone every had a chick get something wrapped around their tongue??
Any advice?
not sure how to get it off
and can't do it by myself as it takes a hand to open beak and a hand to hold chicken
no hands for unwrapping string
thanks

try wrapping the chick in a towel, or put it down a longsleeve shirt to try and hold it if possible. or maybe put it inbetween your legs wrapped in a towel, then hold open the beak with one hand and unwrapp with another.. if worst comes to it, open the beak and prop it open with something, but not all the way so it doesnt hurt it... then maybe unwrapp it. good luck. hope something can help you or someone!!

Last edited:
I hope you can find someone to help you - if it's wrapped tight you risk cutting off the circulation and losing the tongue.

Whew
a neighbor out walking their dog stopped to help me.
after much squawking and many gentle tries we got it off
thanks for the ideas and for being there
chick all better now

I was worried the string would be too tight and cut off circulation too.
he swallowed a small piece of the string I think so I will give them all some chick grit and hope that helps him with it.
thanks much

wee.gif

happy to hear your chicks ok! good luck raising them and wish you the best. happy new year

Now this chick is standing facing the corner of the box. He did not rush the waterer for fresh water like the rest of them did. He did seem to go after the hard boiled egg I gave them all but that was before I was watching him specifically.
He is holding his beak open a little like it's sore from the string

I'm worried that the small piece that I thought he swallowed is still causing problems but I can see nothing else.
And I hate to wrap him up again and go find someone to help look down his throat etc.

What do I need to watch for?
What do I need to do?

I thought I might just wait to see how he is tomorrow
but I need ideas if he is still not eatting or drinking that I see and is holding his beak open slightly.

thanks all

Back
Top Bottom