stringing line over coop FAIL

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FromChictoChick, Jan 26, 2013.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    We've had a very persistent cooper's hawk problem

Shrubbery and cover didn't work the hawk persued them on the ground through the cover even right up against the house

Chasing the Hawk off didn't work

We stopped free ranging and penned the hens and used the method of stringing a web back and forth across the top of the pen

I used the plastic clothes line instead of fishing line because I read that works where the fishing line can be weakened by UV damage and weathering
    We pulled it tight and covered the pen well

Today the Hawk got through somehow killed a pullet THEN GOT STUCK IN THE PEN
    It had a hell of a time panicking and trying to get out with it's kill
    Ultimately it dropped it's kill and somehow nimbly got through and out

Has anyone else had this method not work :( I feel like giving up this is so frustrating. I only try to keep a flock of 10 and I have to keep starting over with new chicks it's devastating

I ordered one of those solar powered owls... Will that help?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    We have eagles and hawks here as well. I covered our run with bird netting (inexpensive) and (knock on wood) no losses so far in 1.5 yrs. When I let them out to free range I try to stay outside with them and the Roos are great at warning of predators.

Sorry for your loss!

3. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    Son of a ***** just came back again! Looking to reclaim it's kill

We tried the bird netting. When we got snow and ice it stretched and weakened and was ineffectual

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am so sorry!! :-(

Last year the netting came down twice when we had really wet heavy snow (Im in WI). So far this year it hasnt come down yet and we have it stretched over a area probably 25 ft by 35 ft staped to barn and zip tied to the fencing.

I have also been curious if those "night eyes" or solar owls work-would be interested in others opinions?

5. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I shut the rest of the girls in

The hawk just keeps coming right back! Four times this hour so far

Does anyone know if department or wildlife will relocate a Hawk?

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    If you can, cancel your solar powered owl order. I don't think it will do you a lick of good except perhaps to bother the crows. Invest the money instead into getting some cheap galvanized welded wire fencing and putting that over your run instead if you can. I ran 2x12s every 4 feet across the top to give the fencing support. If you don't have raccoons to worry about you could use chicken wire instead but be aware it might rust apart in a few years. I have to protect against raccoons here to I used a light gauge welded wire fencing.

This was mine before I expanded it X2:
    Sorry that the photo does not show the top very well. If you'd like I can get better photos for you.
    [​IMG]

My run is now about 30'x16' and I'd say that the "roof" probably cost me around $90, which is an investment, but I never have to worry anymore. It would cost me more than that to replace my flock, plus it'd be very hard emotionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by