striped sunflower seeds.any good?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oldbuzzard, Oct 26, 2008.

1. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    i know black are best for wild birds and asume the same for chickens. i can get some free striped for my backyard babes. is it worth it?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yes, especially for free. I feed them to my lovebirds and parrotlets because they are lower in fat, keeps them from getting too chubby but they still get a treat.

3. oldbuzzard

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    wonderful! i notice they swallow them whole like the ear corn i give them. is that ok?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would think so, but I don't feed them to my chickens, since the parrot types get them all first. I defer to someone who knows more than i do at this point.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine like any of the Sunflower seeds. I got a 50# bag of the striped ones for free because the Science dept ordered the wrong thing, I've been using them for treats and snacks for myself too! Don't worry, they aren't chemically treated or anything! Like I said, the wrong seeds were ordered.

6. oldbuzzard

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    thx

7. velo99

velo99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Amarillo
    Writer,
    I have fed my pigeons and chickens wild birds seed which has sunflower seed in it. Thier crops seem to process it pretty well and the oils are great for the moult.

[​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yes. I grow lots of Sunflowers with striped seeds. My birds devour them, but they don't like to peck them off the heads so I take the seeds off for them. [​IMG]

9. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I throw the whole plant in and they pick out the seeds and eat the leaves too! It took awhile for them to get the hang of it, but I wasn't about to strip those things for them!

10. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:Spoiled brats.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by