stripes on baby australorps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HelenB, May 27, 2010.

1. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    I have two alleged black australorp pullets, age about two weeks. They both have stripey wing feathers, black and gray. I haven't had any luck finding pics to compare them with, and I appologize for not having pics of my own. They also have little gray cross shaped spots on the top of their heads. What did yours look like at this age?

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I think you have Barred Rocks.Are the legs yelowish?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. ChickieBonBon

ChickieBonBon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Inver Grove Heights, MN
    I had the same thing happen. After posting pics, mine turned out to be a cuckoo maran. From what I learned: yellow legs = Barred Rock, white legs = Cuckoo Maran. Good luck! Sorry you didn't get what you were promised. [​IMG]

4. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    They have darkish legs with some yellow on the toes... I must admit that I wouldn't mind Marans, they are part of my consolation flock, purchased after our dogs got two of our GLWs and when the promised number of Jersey Giants were not delivered to the feed store by Privett. Is all this part of the fun of having chickens?!?[​IMG]

5. ChickieBonBon

ChickieBonBon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Inver Grove Heights, MN
    I am new to the hobby and that seems to be the feeling I am getting! The australorp I mentioned was supposed to be a pullet...well "Nana" is a cuckoo maran roo. Oh the joys! If you can, post a pic of the mystery chick. Someone should be able to tell. Good luck to you and I am sorry to hear that the dogs got some of your chicks. [​IMG] Mine killed one last week for the first time. Mixed feelings, but dogs will be dogs and black australorps will be mystery chicks. Best of luck.

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I posted something about this the other day as well. I have 10 BA chicks that are about 5 weeks old and a few of the pullets have lacing on the chest. Someone on here said it is a phase of feathering...it should change and be all black-if indeed they are BAs...

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Last year I had 2 BA chicks - one turned out to be a male. Here they are at 2 weeks old (he in the back row on the right, heading right; she's in the front row on the left). Next pic, they are about 5 weeks old (both are on the left, he's in back she's in front) note how short his tail feathers compared to hers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by