1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stroke? New to chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mustang956, Aug 15, 2014.

1. mustang956

mustang956 New Egg

May 26, 2013
    I have a 20 week old leg horn who has only been laying for almost 2weeks. 2 days ago I was checking for eggs and she seemed to be having a hard time passing her egg. She was able to pass it on her own which I witnessed and she stumbled backwards and laid down. I couple hours went by and I realized she wasn't out milling around with the rest of the chickens. I checked on her and she has been unable to get up. She's eating well but I have to bring food and water to her, she alert but not making any of her normal noises. She seems to be able to move everything but very weak. Today I had her standing on her feet but she was leaning against me to stay upright. The color of her comb looks normal and she is still laying eggs even though she can't get up on her own. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. I have talked to a couple friends who raise chickens and they have never had this happen. Could she have stressed and had a stroke while passing an egg? Anyone have this happen to them?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have heard people say that sometimes a hen can suffer paralysis after laying an egg, but only could find the one link below. Mareks disease could also be a possibility, but I would hope not. Keep giving her some time with supportive care, and hopefully she will improve soon. Vitamins and some calcium each day may help. Here's a link to read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846332/chicken-cant-stand-after-laying-an-egg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. mustang956

mustang956 New Egg

May 26, 2013
    Thanks for the link! Gives me hope. I'll keep working with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by