Stromburg's?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ndemerly, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Based on what I've learned from here is that they're a 'dropship' hatchery. I'm alright with that, however, does anyone know if they're birds come from other hatcheries (Ideal, McMurray, etc.) or from breeders as others have said. I am looking to purchase Russian Orloffs and Delawares from them. Pictures would be awesome, thanks in advance!

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    All I know is everything they sell is very expensive. [​IMG]

3. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I believe Duane Urch is one of the main suppliers for Stromberg. He has a great reputation for outstanding stock and breeding to type.

4. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Quote:Thanks, that's what I've heard also. I don't have a problem paying somewhat good money for quality chicks. Just wanted to make sure that they weren't being 'pawned' off from other, cheaper hatcheries.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I plan on buying the Breeder's Select wyandottes from Stromberg's this year. Duane Urch has very nice glw.

6. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Strombergs has always provided us with good birds.
    Never a problem.
    They use top notch breeders.

[​IMG]

just my.02

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have ordered from many of the hatcheries and every year I order from my favorite and then add a new one or 2 to "test".

I recently purchased a duck from a lady that got him from Stromberg's and I think he is super so I have placed an order with them for March delivery of a few breeds. I do not think they are any more expensive than some of the others and you always get what you pay for as I have found out from ordering chicks from some other hatcheries.
    I am excited about getting my orders every year and I usually hatch from my own birds, too. I have about 170 chicks and ducklings due this spring just from ordering.

I am sure you would like anything you get from Stromberg's.

8. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:I hope you order these breeds and let me know how they turn out! Neither breed is on Urch's list, so they wouldn't come from him...but still. I hope they are good.

P.S. These were my two breeds before I had to sell my flock and move to the city! You have great taste! Not knowing what Stromberg's are like, and if I was limited to a hatchery for my birds and looking to start over with my flock, I would order 100+ of each breed from Welp/Privett and select my breeding stock from there. My Welp Orloffs turned out pretty decent and I only ordered 5. I've also heard that the Privett Delawares are the way to go if you have to do hatchery.

Just something to think about.

9. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Where do I find the Breeder's Select list? The website on Stromberg's is different from I remember. There used to be a list that had the highest quality breeder breeds in a different box, I think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by