Struck Gold at TSC last couple weeks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amynbrent, Mar 12, 2012.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I have been on a silkie mission. I buy, raise and sell them. I usually have to drive to several stores to even get any. One store, I got 10, the other store I got 21...already sold 10. I also scored on some Porcelain Blue D'Uccles and some rare black chick that looks like a silkie. I forget what it is but my friend's husband just bought a teenager one at a chicken show for $40. It's a cross between and Old English and something, it's pure black now with black feet and black beak. When it's grown it's green when the sun hit's it. I have four of those. I'm hoping to have a pair to be able to breed my own with. I cant wait until the next shipments come in. I'm so excited. I keep quiet about my find because if they know what they are worth the workers sometimes pull them out for themselves.

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i would love to quit my job and make my money from doing something with chickens. i just LOVE chickens. i love silkies too and my TSC never sells them. i just ordered 12 hatching eggs from MPC. can't wait!!

3. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Hmmmm so you're buying hatchery Silkies for a couple dollars apiece and selling them for more money, because they are worth so much? I'm sorry...in my opinion that seems odd. Hatchery silkies are worth what the hatcheries charge for them. I certainly hope you are not misrepresenting these birds as higher quality or more valuable than they are.

4. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Not at all. I raise them until teenagers and then sell them...been doing so for many years and have been 100% honest.

5. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i've seen where chicks are a lot cheaper (or should i say "cheeper"...ha ha) than when the birds are grown. you can even see it on hatchery sights. i forget which ones, but i've seen where the hatching eggs are cheaper than the chicks, then you can buy pullets for much more money than female chicks.....u know, the "ready to lay" girls are more expensive than buying chicks. i don't see any harm in it.

6. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Ahhhhh I see... well that's cool then. I get too attached to my babies to even think about selling them. Perhaps newly hatched babes, but wow...I couldn't sell any of my girls now, and they're only a few weeks old *LOL!*

I guess (just like birds which are bought and destined for the dinnertable) that if I bought babies with the full intent to say goodbye down the line, it might not be bad. (Who am I kidding? I'd want to keep them all!) But yeah, I understand now....Good for you to have the good eye to spot the special kiddoes in the midst of chicken chaos!

7. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy and sell and trade chickens all the time. I keep a flock of silkies for here as they are my favorites, but I can't keep them all, and have extra roos. I just traded a year old white silkie roo and 11 silkie eggs for some OE roos, hens and eggs and four EE. Since I really don't need all the OEs, I'll look for someone else with silkies that wants to trade. It's fun!

8. hollyertley

hollyertley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Georgia
    I think maybe I got a porcelain blue d'uccles too. I can't pin any other breed on this chick. That is all that is left but I thought it was too rare to be that kind. Is she a d'
    uccle? Please help I am soooooo stumped on these bantam breeds. The dark one is a DARN good flier I might add. Also all are from TSC too from the assorted bantam bucket.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, she looks a lot like my D'uccles......

10. hollyertley

hollyertley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Georgia
    she just doesn't fit the bill for any other breed. I have had the most trouble with this one too. She had that condition where her poop gets stuck. I gave her a sitz bath in just warm water and it cleared up and she is active and drinks and eats but she is just soooooo tiny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by