Struggles of Trying to get Chickens in my Urban Settings(Help)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jayecookie, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    In my City (Cooper City) there are no laws written for or against chickens. So I am allowed chickens, any amount of them, and any amount of roosters. Then way aren't there any chickens in my city? The Code of Noise Ordinance, its is so general it makes it difficult for anyone to obtain chickens. I heard from a lady her neighbor had chickens and she loved it she could get fresh eggs daily, but someone filed a complaint and the guy had to get rid of them. The code states "The owning, possession, or harboring of any animal, bird or fowl which by frequent or habitual howling, barking, meowing, squawking, or other noise-making causes a noise disturbance so as to disturb the sleep, or peace and tranquility of any inhabitant of the city." which doesn't make any sense... with such a wide and general code I could probably complain about my neighbors dog the only difference is you wont have to get rid of the dog... How can i bypass this code and keep chickens?

rjohns39, drumstick diva and Teila like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    What state are you in?

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    Florida

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    You may want to check in on this thread and see if any of your neighbors have advice too.
    Florida

sourland, N F C and rjohns39 like this.
  5. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    okay thanks!

6. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    I would think that hens would likely be ok. They aren't THAT loud as to "disturb the peace and tranquility" of the neighbors and unless you light them, they should be asleep before they should be disturbing their sleep...

7. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    yea i was thinking of a quiet breed like barred rock, i just don't want them to come out of nowhere and make me get rid of them.

8. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Also, if you are friendly with the neighbors and tell them that you would like to have fresh eggs and would be willing to give a few to them when you have extras, but, you would like them to please let you know of any issues with the birds before filing complaints on them, you will do everything that you can to keep the noise to a minimum and to keep everyone happy, that would probably go a long way. It would be hard for most people to not agree to that if you're being really nice about it, and it is also harder to walk next door and complain in person than it is to file a complaint and let someone else tell you the birds have to go.

Jayecookie and rjohns39 like this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Jayecookie :frow Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome:yesss:

Jayecookie and rjohns39 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: