Struggling A Little with Sizing of Coop

Kenny_

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
Georgia, USA
Hello, I've gotten my little chicks now in a routine and I've bought some lumber and some odds and ends that I will need for my coop, but I haven't finalized all of the purchases for my coop. I originally purchased 53 birds. I plan on giving 15 to my aunt so about 38 will stay with me, I'm thinking providing that there aren't more roosters that we aren't aware of. (I ordered only hens, but there were some adopt me assortments that were a straight run and can surprise me. - I currently have no clue of their breeds and genders at the moment.)

I've been reading and watching a ton of youtube and of course this forum. I very much like Homesteadonomics channel and like his design for the coop. I probably will do a variation of his coop, possibly, but I am not sure how big the actual house needs to be. The run shouldn't be a problem as I have a niced sized area that I have a ton of chicken wire that I have already bought and set aside ready to install for that run. I'm aware that they are probably going to destroy all vegetation in that area. (I had planned that they will lounge under a scuppernong vine fencing area that has some grass under it and some nice long branches that could be useful for roosting during the day. I will have deer netting over the rest of the run. The scuppernong already has fencing and the vines that won't allow the chickens above that area. I guess I am curious if that's a bad idea? Before I actually get started on that.)

I wanted to do Ondura for the roofing, but I've quickly blown through my budget, and I'm disappointed in myself that I've made some pretty expensive purchases. (I'm not sure where I've actually made the largess, really.) What's a good solution to roofing that's cost effective, yet aesthetically pleasing?

Thank you to anyone who responds.. I really appreciate any and all help you can give me on this. I'm terrible with common sense stuff, like is that 2 subflooring 4x8 sheets needed? lol I mean, I literally walked up to a guy in the lumber section and was like do you know anything about lumber and said if you're screwing two 2x4s together would you use 2inch or 2.5inch screws or 3 inch screws for framing or nails? lol I still don't think I know the answer! Isn't that sad!

Use 3 inch screws. I do not recommended chicken wire unless you are putting welded wire over it. A stray dog can rip a hole through in no time flat. If you are keeping that many birds you are going to need quite a big coop!

Also, do you guys think that artificial grass would be ok in the nesting boxes or does that sound strange? lol I know.. I'm an oddball. I just ordered a 100 foot roll of welded wire so we'll see how far that gets me, if I need more I'll order another one and it should get here pretty quickly.

Would that be too small with two subfloors that are 4x8 each? Sorry, I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but I am definitely NOT a carpenter in the slightest. lol

Use 3 inch screws. I do not recommended chicken wire unless you are putting welded wire over it. A stray dog can rip a hole through in no time flat. If you are keeping that many birds you are going to need quite a big coop!

Since I've bought so much chicken wire looks like I'll be using both. My aunt's chicken area uses a combination of fences, as well. (the welded, poultry wire, and looks like plastic fencing of some sort, as well.) I'm going to try to predator proof it as much as is possible.

Kenny, where do you live, what kind of climate do you have? The concern is how often they will get outside in bad weather or will they be stuck inside for extended periods of time. That can make a huge difference in how big the coop needs to be.

I’m not a believer in magic numbers for how many square feet per chicken you need. You can follow the link in my signature for some of the reasons for that. It’s not just your coop space in isolation either if they have access to outside when they need it, it’s your total space system.

If some of those are straight run you will get cockerels. Even sexed pullets can have a few cockerels. What will you do with the excess cockerels, keep them? Are you planning on adding more chickens later so you will face an integration or will you allow a hen to raise chicks with the flock? Both those will benefit with more room.

It’s difficult to come up with a size for the coop you need, so much depends on your climate and how you manage them. The run is an important part of your management system too. A blind answer would be to build an 8’ x 20’ coop for 38 chickens. That’s pretty big. It may be more than you actually need but if they will be stuck inside a lot it may not be overkill. If they are all female an 8’ x 16’ would probably work for you. Since most building materials come in 4’ and 8’ dimensions those are usually your best dimensions to use so you minimize cutting and waste when you build.

A coop for 38 chickens needs to be a walk-in coop. If you can position the coop where it stays dry (rain water drains away from it, not into it or where water stands) you can save money by using a dirt floor.

Bigger. 2 - 4x8 sheets of ply are 8x8 which is what I'm currently building for our silkies . That 64sq ft. and silkies at 3sq ft per bird. is @ 21 birds. our 40 bird laying coop is 165 sq ft. and there run is ,well 10 acres, they free range. the sikies wont and theirs will be 2- 100 sq ft runs for them. being you are starting with 34 birds and probable be getting rid of roos Id suggest to build a little bigger then needed like 160 sq ft coop 400 sq ft run. That good for 40 birds. so you can add more later. if you can free range maybe 120 sq ft coop and no run. but be prepared to have loses free ranging. which isn't all that bad cause then you have space to add more hens later on.
Scott

if I AM SCREWING 2 2X4 together then I want a 2.5" screw. The 2x4 are 1.5" each so if you bury the screw head at all on a 3" screw it pops out the other side. otherwise if I was in a pickle. id run the 3" screws at a angle to keep from poping threw.

Scott

if I AM SCREWING 2 2X4 together then I want a 2.5" screw. The 2x4 are 1.5" each so if you bury the screw head at all on a 3" screw it pops out the other side. otherwise if I was in a pickle. id run the 3" screws at a angle to keep from poping threw.

Scott

Unless you are going through the 1-1/2" thickness into the 3-1/2" thickness, then a 3" screw is fine. 3" is what I use in that circumstance. It depends on how you are putting them together. But I agree, if you are going 1-1/2" to 1-1/2" you don't want a 3" screw, I use a 2-1/2".

Unless you are going through the 1-1/2" thickness into the 3-1/2" thickness, then a 3" screw is fine. 3" is what I use in that circumstance. It depends on how you are putting them together. But I agree, if you are going 1-1/2" to 1-1/2" you don't want a 3" screw, I use a 2-1/2".
I agree . the 2 main screws I use and keep on hand are 3" and 2 1/2". on our silkie coop I will be getting 3 1/2" too but that cause I'm cutting my own lumber so a 2x4 will be 2"x 4", which will look like a mini beam.lol
There are alot of smart builders on here. some did know more than the op when they started there own coop but now are a lot more knowledgeable.
if the op has more questions on this coop lets get some more info like accurate bird count and plans to add more? or is this 34 birds straight run and is this a hen house or will they keep roosters. location and area where they plan to build. a simple one pitch roof style shed should be easier to build. Oh a list of supplys would help other design what you have and what direction to go or at least help you out.

When we look at the chickens up the street and in town we always think wow they look awful. One reason we think our birds look as good as they do is because in town and up the street the birds have tight small runs and coops. Our flock free range and have a nice comfortable coop(28 birds in a 40 bird coop). So on them bad days we can leave them in the coop and their is room for them to do there chicken things.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom