Struggling after dehydration and loss of duck

BrukeyBrooke

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
Washington
We were away for three nights and had a pet sitter check on the ducks and goose daily to lock them up and fill their water, etc. Something happened (yet to be fully determined), and all of the birds were without water for an extended period of time (causing one to perish). The remaining ducks seem to be struggling to get back into the routine of laying. They laid a few for two days and then nothing yesterday, although one appears to be sitting now. I assume this is expected after dehydration? Does anyone have experience with this morbid scenario? Also, I have read that a bird can survive 1-3 days without water, although presumably that is shorter in this dreadful AZ heat. 😭

So far, I have been told it was the result of the automatic door malfunction, but it doesn’t make sense to me. I will see her again today and will be questioning her about what happened.
Thank you. I have given them LOTS of sprinkler and kiddie pool time since returning home and have added various electrolytes and vitamins (Nutridrench) to their waterers. Also, a few hydrating treats like watermelon. Thankfully they seem mostly well and it is actually raining here this morning. So lovely in the desert!
I know we shouldn’t anthropomorphize birds, but they seem to be missing her, especially the goose who I think thought she was his. Luckily he’ll be getting a goose girlfriend soon (planned before this happened).

Sending hugs to you and your birds! Electrolytes like Miss Lydia said would be best, it’s helped my dehydrated duck a lot! Do they have a swimming pool? Also how many do you have? If its an option, bringing the most critical ones inside out of the heat to monitor their condition may help them and may ease your mind a bit! So sorry for your loss and for your sad little gander! hugs hugs hugs

Thank you! I got two eggs so far today. They were laying quite early before, but now it seems to be later in the day. Maybe yesterday was a “reset” day. None are critical - all looking good. Just sad. They’re quieter than usual but all active.
I now have five ducks and one gander. The new goose is isolated for now. I had her across the yard but had a panic vision of a coyote hopping the fence and getting her. Now she has her own end of the run. She desperately wants to meet the flock, but they’re all looking skeptically at her. 😆

I'm so sorry for your loss! If it were me, I would not accept an automatic door malfunction as an excuse especially in such a severe heatwave across the country. Whenever I have pet sat for others I always checked in 2-3x day at the very least and even with my own ducks they are checked on 3x a day at the very least (which is also why I refuse to pet sit for anyone over 20 minutes away because I like to check in several times a day). For a duck to die from dehydration in extreme heat they had to of not been cared for at least a full 24 hour period.

Last edited:
According to her version of events, they could have been without water for about 22 hours. It is possible. But combined with the fact that the door has worked fine before and since and some other carelessness, such as broken eggs (clearly not collected), the run being left unlocked (second time, latched but not locked thus that I am happy they didn’t all get out and get swooped up by hawks), and the dog water being quite low (also on the care list), I just don’t believe it was the door. I desperately want to believe her, as she’s also the nanny and so good with the kids, but I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom