Struggling after dehydration and loss of duck

We were away for three nights and had a pet sitter check on the ducks and goose daily to lock them up and fill their water, etc. Something happened (yet to be fully determined), and all of the birds were without water for an extended period of time (causing one to perish). The remaining ducks seem to be struggling to get back into the routine of laying. They laid a few for two days and then nothing yesterday, although one appears to be sitting now. I assume this is expected after dehydration? Does anyone have experience with this morbid scenario? Also, I have read that a bird can survive 1-3 days without water, although presumably that is shorter in this dreadful AZ heat. 😭
Oh, I am so so sorry for your loss. I know how that feels. :hugs
I'm surprised that your other birds lasted for so long w/out water. Have you added electrolytes to their water? That should probably help them.
(Sorry that I posted in the middle of the thread)
Once again, I'm really sorry you had to lose one of the ducks. :(

Oh, I am so so sorry for your loss. I know how that feels. :hugs
I'm surprised that your other birds lasted for so long w/out water. Have you added electrolytes to their water? That should probably help them.
(Sorry that I posted in the middle of the thread)
Once again, I'm really sorry you had to lose one of the ducks. :(
Agree about the others lasting. I posted a while back about Mrs. Eggman molting, and despite others think she looked okay, she looked a little rough to me. But she acted normal. I wonder if her body was already in overdrive making new feathers and couldn’t last quite as long.
My remaining flock has been getting electrolytes and vitamins and are doing well. We’ve had shaky egg production since then, but I am hopeful that will ramp back up. We have been spoiling them with TONS of yard time.

Back
Top Bottom