1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Struggling Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mylied, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    One of our chicks had a rough hatch and has spraddle legs. We are trying to fix it, but the legs aren't straight yet. I can't get the chick to eat. It just wants to sleep. I can only get it to drink if I hold the water nipple right up to it and tap it a few times. I got it to eat a little wet mash off my finger, but it kept falling asleep and didn't get much down. It won't peck food on the ground at all. How can I perk it up some and get it to eat? Would giving it some selenium and vitamin e help? It hatched on Saturday.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use chick electrolytes and vitamins in the water, but feed her from a cup, dipping her beak over and over for a slit second to drink and swallow. Then try her in a chick chair with her feet touching the floor.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    So I've given the chicks electrolytes, physical therapy, and taped the legs for days on end. It's legs won't straighten. It is walking around in kind of a squatted position. It eats, drinks, and is growing. Seems chipper. Can it live as an adult with messed up legs? Or would it just be sitting on one place, not able to get around? I don't mind a special needs bird that squat walks, but it's not fair to it if it'll be in pain or not be able to move around as it grows. I can see about getting a video of it walking if that will help. Just looking for some advice.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you still using the vitamins with electrolytes? Do they contain vitamin B2 (riboflavin?) Would you say that she is walking on her hocks or elbows, or does she have curled under toes? Until you decide whether or not to keep trying or cull her, I would feed a small amount of chopped liver every day, which could replace the B vitamins, or use 1/2 crushed B Complex tablet in her food every day. It can be difficult knowing how long to treat these leg problems associated with hatch problems before giving up. Some people will give it time and let the chicken try to survive, although getting enough to eat and making it in a flock with normally active birds may be hard. You will probably know after some time what is best for the chick. Good luck and I hope you see some improvement.

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Ok, here's an update. I did give it electrolytes for quite a while and we re-taped it's leg for a good week. It seems the one leg is twisted, so it can walk on it's feet, but it has a limp. Here is a video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by