Struggling to breath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Humpty doo girl, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Humpty doo girl

Humpty doo girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    One of my girls has fallen ill , yesterday she was fine ,this morning I found her sitting in the middle of the coup I think she got rained on but that shouldn't bother her but I noticed she wasn't moving ,but was breathing heavy no wezzing just sitting with her eyes closed she is an old bird and doesn't lay any more ,she also appeared to be very heavy ,I have separated her from the others ,she is not eating just sitting in the cage. ,I worried as I love my girls ,Humpty doo girl any suggestions .

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Feel her belly does it feel squishy? she may have ascites [sp] here is a link , not saying this is it but it does happen to older hens, I've lost 2 this way. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6808

3. Humpty doo girl

Humpty doo girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes she felt very heavy , Iput her back up in the hen house high and dry ,but when i returned latter that day she had passed away ,bit sad but I dont think she would have made it any way .Thanks any way Humpty Doo Girl ..

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by