1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

struggling with bobwhite chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fireflyhatchery, Feb 11, 2013.

1. fireflyhatchery

fireflyhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Have had multiple hatches that don't turn out well. I am able to keep only a few chicks alive past i 1 week. Heat and space are good but most of the chicks go from perfectly from fine to dead at random times within the first week. This has happened on more than one occasion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Please discribe your brooder.What temp are you running your brooder at?What are you feeding them?Is their water to close to the heat and is getting to hot to drink?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. fireflyhatchery

The brooder is a very larger tub and the heat is 95F. I never thought of the water being to warm because it is warm but not hot. The feed is nutreana chick starter with water to make mash.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well all that sounds good.I had problems with bobwhites dieing and I called the guy I bought the eggs from,and he said it may be a sulpher defieciency.I gave them sulmet(available at most feed stores).I gave 1 capful to a gallon and the deaths stopped.can't say this is your problem,but it won't hurt to try.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure you are not covering the top of the brooder with anything but maybe wire. You need good air exchange with heat as well as oxygen.

Bobs need to be started at 97 degrees. 95 is too cold for Bob hatchlings. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is with Bobwhites. Make sure to keep the heat off to one side and the food and water on the other, out of the heat. That way the have to leave the brooder lamp to get food and water.

6. fireflyhatchery

I have heard controversy to both sides saying you should keep your supply close to or far from the heat. I am going to try the other way after failing a few times keeping it close. And the brooder isn't covered just taller walls than they are able to fly over but I there is good ventilation.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It helps Bobs to acclimate better if the food and water is on the cooler side of the brooder. Start them out at 97 to 98 degrees and lower the temp 5 degrees each week till they are 6 weeks old.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by